Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

twin 16 fuel poblem

tacomac

I cant get fuel in the Carb.(Briggs I/C series twin 16 # 402707. It has fuel to the fuel pump, I put A new kit in the pump and the Carb.It seems to pull vacuum on the hose to the fuel pump. I have the parts manuel and it appears to be together correct but it still won't run. I have had it off and on and apart at least 10 times. anyone have any ideas?

no fuel shutoff, the fuel pump is on the side of the carburater, so I can't tell if the fuel pump works or the carb has a problem, I've cleaned it all and it seems to be clear. Thanks, Earl

Make sure you didn't switch the hoses on the carb. I know it sounds like something that you just wouldn't do but it's been done lots of times. Mel

I thought about the hoses, but the vacuum hose isn't long enough to reach to the other side of the fuel pump. but thank you for the suggestion. Earl

If careful, you should be able to disconnect the fuel line from the pump, and turn the engine over to see if it in fact is pumping fuel, and if it seems to have any kind of volume or pressure. If it is pumping properly, it is obviously a carburator issue. Next I would remove the float bowl and see if there is fuel in the bowl. If not, you have a stuck stopper or a blocked fuel passage. If there is fuel in the bowl, I would remove the needle and make sure it is clear and that you can blow through it, make sure all passages are clear. Sometimes some carb cleaner with the stiff straw that comes with it, pushed into the passages and openings will blow out any crud. At least you will be able to see if the openings and passages are clear by way of carb cleaner coming out of the openings. If all of this checks out, I would be out of suggestions regarding fuel issues. Good luck!

The fuel pump delivers fuel directly to the carburater so there is no line to disconnect. I have to take the top off of the carb. to see the bowl and it is dry. The passages seem to be open as the cleaner sprays through. I'm inclined to take it too a pro. as it is a very nice tractor with a snowblower and a soft cab,evan though I haven't had to blow snow all winter, it would be nice to have. Thanks for the help Earl

Could the fuel pump diapham be in wrong and block the fuel passage,it looked right however I must have something wrong?

If your pump employs check valves those could be in backwards or upside down too. That would stop any fuel flow for certain.

There is no check valves, only small rubber flappers in the diapham. Does anyone know if the fuel line should connect on the side or the bottom? It was on the bottom and the vacuum line on the side of the pump,however I read the B&S question web site of an 18 h.p. twin with the same problem and the owner switched the hoses and it worked however I didn't have that success. Earl

First thing is the fuel line goes on the side and the vacume line on the bottom. Make sure the lines are good and tight with clamps or air will get in and you'll lose vacume. If you want to see the pump working simply take the top of the carb off and crank the engine. Theres a passage that brings the fuel up at the front of the carb just behind the pump. You'll see it when you take the top off and when the engine cranks it should shoot fuel up from it.

Thank you for the help. I had it right, and I had the top off to view the fuel inlet to the carb,and no fuel. I had it running once but it wouldn't Idle and after I kept messing with it to fix the Idle than the pump would not work. frustrating. Thanks again Earl

I think that pump has springs over each flap valve. Has one of the springs hooked the flap and is holding it open? Are you getting fuel to the pump? I have had the screen in the tank blocked with dirt. I cut it off and place a nice inline filter on most I work on. You could blow back to the tank with low (4 lbs)pressure Is the float letting the valve open? When you turn carb top upside down the float should be parallell to the mating surface. Your pulse line should push and pull, put your finger lightly on the end of the hose and you can feel it when you crank the engine.

The fuel runs out of the line at the fuel pump, and I can feel the suction when I put my finger over the vacuum hose at the fuel pump. I've had the fuel pump apart15 or 20 times checking the springs but is won't pump fuel into the top of the carburater with the top removed. The inlet into the carb is open. I think I may replace the vacuum hose to see if that helps. Thanks, Earl

• 4 weeks later...
Is the gasket correct for the bowl. Fuel passes threw a port on the side of the carb up to the top where the float valve regulates the fuel into the bowl. Is all those passages clear?