Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
DMKNLD

cone clutch question

DMKNLD
My 7114H's cone clutch won't hold the snowblower belt under load anymore, so after a good soaking w/ PB Blaster I tried to remove the bolt that holds the cone clutch by holding the nut on the opposite end of the BGB shaft, but it just loosened that bolt instead. Any trick to holding the BGB shaft to be able to break the cone bolt loose?

briggs9498
An impact wrench works wonders in these situations. You won't even need to hold the shaft if you have one. If not the only other thing I've used in the past would be a pipe wrench on the shaft but I wouldn't really recommend it.

DMKNLD
OK, so I got the cone hub off and found the clutch lining was pretty much down to metal. I searched on the forum and found a couple other posts on replacing the mid - PTO clutch lining with leather. So I cut up an old leather belt that was about 1/16" or so thick and quick epoxied it in, but it would not let the cone hub completely seat, nor would it allow the PTO to disengage, so it must be too thick. I'm guessing I need to shave it down on the inside edge - a dremel maybe, to get it to fit into the cone hub?

HubbardRA
I have one that I relined with leather and it works great. Only problem I have with it is that the leather doesn't want to slip at all. I engages very hard with almost no slippage. I cut the pieces of leather and dry fit them. I glued them in with contact cement and immediately assembled it onto the cone to hold it in the proper arrangement. I did not start the tractor till the next day. It took a little readjustment, but it now works fine. Also, on the question of removing the nut from the BGB shaft, I have used a strap wrench on the outside of the cone clutch housing to hold the shaft while removing the nut. But, as said above, an impact wrench is the best way.