Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT 17 Valve Cover Torque?

Britt

The information on this site is amazing. I am a new member but have been looking at stuff on this site for about a month. I purchased a pretty slick 917H and have been working on it. I tore into the breather valve assembly after reading all the problems it creates if it fails. I replace this with the new reed style and also replaced the breather hose and several other pieces. I am going back together and cant find what the nut on the valve cover should be torqued too. I am certain it should not be to tight but would like some input if anyone has some. Once again great info and help on here and I can see myself really getting into working on these smaller tractors. I have two D-17 Allis' and have enjoyed them but it's neat to get into new projects on different pieces of equipment. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the club Britt! I have rebuilt the KT 17's before and I usually tighten the valve cover nut until its tight. But in my service manual that I have said to torque it to 32 in lb. Im kind of leery to torque it due to the stud is small. I hope this helps!

quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
Welcome to the club Britt! I have rebuilt the KT 17's before and I usually tighten the valve cover nut until its tight. But in my service manual that I have said to torque it to 32 in lb. Im kind of leery to torque it due to the stud is small. I hope this helps!
That's 2.75 ft lb. Like Ryan said not very much.

That is about what i expected not very tight at all. Thanks for the info. I am excited about all the useful stuff on this site.