Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigten65

HI/LO

bigten65
I was lucky enough to have bought a HI/LO for my bigten, from a club member. It is used, my question is should I disassemble it and see how it looks inside, maybe just clean it up? or should I just mount it on and see if it works good? Thanks in advance.

RedbarnRick
Looking at your beautiful tractor, I would say you will be disassemblig it checking it and then mounting it, you won't be content just bolting on a used piece, not sure of the condition. My 2 cents tho.

timflury
Have you downloaded a manual??? 990348 is the Mfr. number. I too am in the process of cleanup and painting a pulley I just bought. There isn't much to the innards on these, just be careful with the small needle bearings in the planet gears. It's a good idea to check the condition of the gearset before you install it on your tractor. Also, check the condition of the two gears on the pulley itself, the one nearest the pulley usually wears when the unit is shifted from lo to hi while it is turning. Yup, DO NOT shift the pulley when it is turning. The threads on the center of the cover where the grease fitting went are 1/4"x28.

steve-wis
Agree with Tim. Not alot to these, but the old grease tends to turn into hard clumps with time, so taking it apart, cleaning and checking it, and re-greasing it makes alot of sense. There are a couple of posts from a while back with pics on reworking these, look them up if you want to see what is inside. I had one, and I think Tim had the other that I remember. Good luck with it! Steve

Talntedmrgreen
Common failure with these is when the studs that the planetary mounts to breaks free and is allowed to spin with the gears. That causes wear, and eventually the gear will sieze.

timflury
Steve, I now have a Hi Lo for each tractor. They work on the same concept, but the 990348 is more robust in design than the broadmoor pulley. The planet gears have a needle bearing in them as opposed to the steel bushing. Josh, Are you referring to the shoulder bolts that hold the small planet gears in place??