Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Careful what you wish for . . . .

huffy

After such a mild winter, I was kind of hoping for some snow so I could get some seat time. Unfortunately, go got more than I hoped for: http://record-eagle.com/local/x1112179225/Region-digs-out-as-crews-scramble-to-restore-power My house is just outside of TC, and down in a valley, so adding in what the wind carried down from the high ground I got well over the 9-16" they got in town on Friday night. And, it's still coming down. It's a thick, heavy wet snow too, and the belt for my snowblower attachment finally gave out last night. Good thing I had a spare. My power's been out since Friday night, and it's looking like they won't get it back on until tomorrow sometime.

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part about the power being out for 4 days . . . I bought a huge backup generator last summer when I got the house, just in case something like this happened. What I learned Friday night, though, is that the yahoo that I hired to wire it up didn't include my well pump among the essential services I'd need if the main power went out. Trust me, taking sponge baths with melted snow isn't as refreshing as one might think.

bowhunt4life
At least you haven't lost your sense of humor. Hope it all turns out well for you.

quote:
Trust me, taking sponge baths with melted snow isn't as refreshing as one might think.
There is no way I could afford the shrinkage.

quote:
There is no way I could afford the shrinkage.
Now that's just cold! I have a six or eight circuit transfer panel for my generator, can't say that I'm overly impressed by the way it works as my generator has enough amperage to run almost anything in the house save the range and clothes dryer, and it's rare to have more than a couple of lights on at a time under normal circumstaces. I think when I upgrade the generator I'll upgrade to a whole panel tranfer switch. Luckily my essentials are nearly covered though I wind running an exstention cord or two. Just something to think about when wiring a generator!:)

My problem is that, to avoid getting yelled at by my wife, I let my father in law wire it up. He's a retired electrical engineer, and has an electrician's license (why I don't know, since I don't think he ever worked as an electrician) so she insisted that he could do it. I wanted to tell her "I told you so" so bad Friday night, but couldn't for two reasons. First, I know she'd kick me. And second, the second she figured out she wouldn't be able to shower she went and checked in to a hotel in town, telling me to stay home and deal with it.

Talntedmrgreen
Tough luck man. I was looking at the national weather service site on Sunday afternoon, and just SW of TC, they recorded 28" of snowfall in the 'past 48 hr period' That's a lot of wet heavy snow! :O Hoep things get back to normal fast...sounds like it's going to be a real wet week with temps in the 50's

Well, my power finally came back on this afternoon. Now I just gotta take my first real shower in a few days to wash off the fromunda, and then go retrieve the better half from the hotel she's been staying at.

If that was my wife I think I would wait a day or two before I told her the power was back on.}:)}:):D That would teach her to get HUFFY.^

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
If that was my wife I think I would wait a day or two before I told her the power was back on.}:)}:):D That would teach her to get HUFFY.^
I would, but I desperately need laundry done and dishes washed

Michiganmobileman
Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle... I was GLAD that one missed us, we got about 5 inches.

Talntedmrgreen
Wow, you really had a stretch there, but at least the weather was mild! (probably ads to the stench though...)