Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weed Cutter

bgosh

I want to make a guard over the pulley set up,so I installed it on my 725 to see what kind of dimensions to use.I am going to put this on a B10.Now what happened is that part of the hitch which attaches to the tractor and has the 2 pulleys on, hits the 7/16 x 2 1/2 in axle plate and does not come up level.Is this correct?Installed as per instructions.I could drill new holes back a little bit? I don't think there is any difference between the 2 tractors? Actually that piece where it hits is cut out some to clear that axle plate.What am I doing wrong? Stan:Y

Sounds like you are putting the pins in first then pivoting the unit up to the axle? The two cut outs should fit over the axle to carry the unit, then the pins just hold it in place. Try sliding it on straight back, so those notches actually hook on the axle, then pin it after.

Dan It worked like a charm,now all I have to figure out what bolt it is to hold that rod that engages the cutter and what length it is. Thank You Stan

quote:
Originally posted by bgosh
Dan It worked like a charm,now all I have to figure out what bolt it is to hold that rod that engages the cutter and what length it is. Thank You Stan
Not quite sure what you mean here. The engagement lever simply slips together and is held by a spring clip. [img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0310.jpg[/img] [img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0309.jpg[/img]

I agree with that but that rod does go thru a(Plate)? that is fastened to the tractor somewhere, so that rod is supported so it can be pushed or pulled to engage the blades or disengage.Thank You For the pictures,they really help.I also notice you don't have a guard over the belts,and has this ever given you any problems? Stan

Running without the cover will not cause any problems unless you get a stick or something in there. It's about the same cover as the snow blowers, and most of those don't get covers either. The "plate" you are referring to can be replaced with an "eye bolt" put in place of one of the side cover bolts.

I never thought of that and I think it will probably work better then the plate or whatever it is called.Great idea .Thank you Stan

Here's the plate you mention, up behind the S/G...I've gotten by with eye bolts on a few blower setups. [img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0510.jpg[/img] The belt cover was not pictured, because the pictures were to show the hitch setup and belt configuration. I have run it without, but when in tall, thick stuff, some weeds will tumble back over the mower, and you end up with a green slimy belt that will start to slip and steam/smoke. On the other hand, I've cut dry brush with no issues, but do prefer to run with the cover on to deter any problems that might interfere with my east time. }:)