Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 Won't Start

B110guy

Just put a new plug, coil, Mega Fire and carb kit in my B110. I've got spark and gas, bu it will not even try to run. Plug gap set to spec, carb set to initial settings, coil gaped to spec. What could I be missing? B110guy

first off do you have compression ?. is this the first time getting it running ?. maybe a stuck valve. very common on these when they sit. can sometimes unstick them without removeing head. spray lube and a little tap on the valve thru the plug hole. or you can try this , spray a shot of gas in the sparkplug hole and see if it will fire, then go from there.

Sad part is, it ran this winter. Tried to start it a month or so ago and it wouldn't start, but had gas pouring out the carb. Figured I'd redo the carb. Turned into a carb kit, new coil, and a Mega Fire kit. Near as I could tell, the flywheel key was ok. Will try to check compression tomorrow. B110guy

quote:
Originally posted by perry
...or you can try this , spray a shot of gas in the sparkplug hole and see if it will fire, then go from there.
worth a shot

Was gonna try a sniff of ether, but I don't have any. Can someone confirm the spark plug gap at .030 and coil to flywheel gap at .016? B110guy

spark plug .025 and coil .010 thats what i run. .016 should be ok. dont need either, just use a dribble of gas. i have a spray bottle with vent hole allways on hand with gas in it.

I'm probably closer to .014. Will try the dribble of gas tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned about the spark I've got too. It runs about 1/4", but doesn't seem as strong as it should be. B110guy

If there is a condenser involved it would be a good item to try. Carb flooding, as you described, normally indicates compression (lack of) and/or stuck valve(s). About a teaspoon of ATM fluid down the spark plug hole, or a goodly spray of PB into the cylinder (option). Wayne

Is the Mega fire tight to what it is fastened to? Does your Mega Fire have two terminals on it (some do)that can be reversed? Is the spark blue? Could you have a pinched wire coming off the mega fire that is grounding out? .016 should be ok, it is probably at its upper limit. My dealer that I get parts from told me one time when I was having an issue with a flywheel rubbing the armature to move the air gap to .015 and it worked fine. The reason it was rubbing was wear in the roller bearing on that end of the crank. I probably would remove cylinder head and check that the valves are opening and closing properly and to make sure there is no carbon preventing them from closing properly. I would also try the old plug.

Also, as silly as it is try another plug. Been told that spark plugs as good as they are are over 70% of no start problems.