Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-110 Throttle knob repair

perry

anybody have any luck with replaceing a broken knob on a B-110 throttle cable ?. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/0123001-1.jpg[/IMG]

just repaired a cracked knob on one with JB weld. Find a small round plastic disc and JB weld and join them together. A new Allis cable cost me about $52. Before that I paid about $20 for one from Stens and one about the same from NAPA and they were both junk and did not last long. Bite the bullet and buy an Allis if you can't repair yours.

Mike (MDB) came up with this. ;) http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118745&SearchTerms=throttle,cable

couple good ideas :). how about replaceing the knob ?. i have some frozen and broken cables laying around with good knobs. not sure if they would come off without breaking thou. may use one to JB over the top ^

I bought an epoxy gas tank repair kit and developed the whole package so I could mold tight around the whole post and nut, knob was gone. Let it sit for a few days and it got me where I wanted to go a few years. I call it my 'caddyshack' throttle knob.:D http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/CaddyshackTC.jpg

Perry, if you straighten out the bent end of the cable and pull the cable all the way out, there is a hole in the square part of the cable that lools like you might be able to disengage the inner cable from the knob end. I think I saved one like that but it's been a couple of years since then. Good luck!

If you don't care about the looks, go visit a Home Depot and get an all metal kitchen cabinet door pull knob. Drill it out to the throttle cable stem size (maybe a little smaller for an interference fit). Tap the hole in the knob to 10-24, 12-24 or whatever is close to the O.D. of the stem, thoroughly clean both parts then JB Weld it in place. It should never come off or get loose. Tom (PK)

There is a twist lock, metal "T" handled cable available. A couple of my tractors had them installed when I got them, and they work great. I have no idea where they came from. I'm in the middle of painting my farm Allis "B" ,so don't have time to snoop around for the source. Good luck, Jim

Sounds like Levi's idea is the way to go. My 2110 has the similar cable, but the knob spins on the shaft, and won't lock. JB Weld didn't work.

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Sounds like Levi's idea is the way to go. My 2110 has the similar cable, but the knob spins on the shaft, and won't lock. JB Weld didn't work.
that sounds like a good deal. digging around in the shed today i found two good complete cables. jeez, i have stuff laying everywhere i forget about :D