Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Landlord Tiller Drive Question

huffy
I have a 32" tiller for my '67 Landlord that I'm working on. My assumption is that the pulley sleeve assembly should rotate freely within the idler lever assembly so that you can disengage the tiller. (I wish I could figure out how to attach diagrams from the manual, but I'm technologically challenged. If anyone looks at the manual, it's parts A and U in the tiller drive diagram). Mine, however, is locked up from having sat outside for who knows how many years. I need to get them apart so that I can dress them down so they rotate freely. I've tried WD 40, heat, and a few other tricks, but it's being stubborn. The problem is that I don't really see any easy way of using a puller or putting it in my hydraulic press - at least not without welding something onto it to give me grip points, which I'd rather avoid if possible. Has anybody done this before and come up with an easy solution?

Talntedmrgreen
I'm having the same issue, with a PTO I'd like to use. I've been hitting mine with PB Blaster, heat and everything else at my disposal for two weeks. I'm all ears 8)

RayS
I had one rusted to the rearlift once. I ended up drilling the rearlift out of the PTO. I have a bunch of rearlifts and the PTO is hard to fine so it did not matter to me that I destroyed the lift portion.

huffy
Well, I finally managed to get this to free up and come apart. Exactly how I did it, I couldn't tell you. I didn't do anything different than I did the other 4 or 5 times I tried - heat it up with a torch and put some WD 40 on it. But, for some reason it just all of a sudden broke free. It must be that I finally spouted the right combination of profanities in the right order or something. Anyway, now that I've got that problem solved I was wondering if someone could tell me if I'm correct about the belt sizes I need so that I can pick them up from TSC on my way out of town tonight. One is 154273 (shown as "S" in the manual), which I think is 5/8" x 42". The second is 105122 ("T" in the manual), which I think is 5/8" x 56".