Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steveo358

BGB seal replacement 7117

steveo358
I was wondering if anyone has replaced the seal in them as the seal on the mower deck side of my BGB has a little leak. What else should I do if I have to replace the seal, shims, etc. Thank you , Steve

1Litre
The PtO clutch will have to be removed along with the retainer rings on the shaft and the bracket that engages/dis engages clutch. . That side of the output shaft has a needle bearing and a seal . The other side has the ball bearing and seal with some shims outside of all that. If you can remove the seal you can drive a new one . Not easy . It may help to remove the frame plate on that side . If that shaft moves around in the bearing it may have to be replaced along with the bearing.

RedbarnRick
once you have the cone clutch and linkage off and the ring removed get some real fine emery cloth and clean the shaft, try spinning the motor over( don't start it) to spin the shaft and hold the emery cloth on it, pull out the old seal with a seal remover or a bent screwdriver, take some blue masking tape and carefully wrap the shaft where the keyway and ring groove are located, a single layer not overlapped and smooth as possible. I have ruined a couple seals when the sharp edges of the keyway cut the seal lip, if you don't have a seal driver use some PVC pipe or a fitting to drive it in place.