Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dirty ch18s

rpickle

Taking the tin off of this has exposed a ton of crap that was lodged up in there! Poor thing. Hope it didn't do any damage. Valve covers leak, so took one off to look at it. There is a paper gasket and remnants of silicone or an o-ring, not sure. Looked up the engine on Kohlers engine site and it doesn't show a paper gasket? Engine number is: Model ch18s Spec 62513 Serial 2301212587 [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/rpickle/005-5.jpg[/IMG] Also, the other valve cover has 2 hose nipples (crankcase breather) that have nothing attached. The breather nipple coming up out of the intake manifold has a hose hooked to it that runs into the air cleaner assembly. So, is that correct? Should the valve cover nipples be capped? Thanks in advance.

The ports on the valve cover are for pulse fuel pump. The intake manifold port should not go to the air filter , that is causing a big vacuum leak and should be capped. The crankcase breather tube should be routed to the air filter base.

There is only suppose to be a o-ring for a gasket. That is what both mine have and the parts manual does not show a fiber gasket. Atleast for mine it doesn`t. Below is ther parts manual. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/kohler-ch1862513-engine-parts-c-106503_108123_109923.html

The early Command's had paper/fiber gaskets. Later Command's used a different valve cover with a groove for the O-ring and different screws. I think all the Command's used in Sovereign's and Sunstar's used the O-ring but I'm not certain. You can check it out on the Kohler website with your spec #.

I just replaced the valve covers on my CH18S on my Agco Allis 918H (aka: Simplicity Sovereign). A previous bonehead owner drilled holes, threaded in a brass hose fitting and vented the valve covers to the bottom of the tractor. The new valve covers had a grove in them for a rectangular in cross-section o-ring. You can buy just the o-ring. The vacuum line for my fuel pump comes from the engine block - not from the valve covers, however, I have seen a newer Kohler Command that used the valve cover and a port off it to drive the fuel pump. The breather hose attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner. Good luck, Bill

Thanks. My vacuum lies are correct then. For the valve cover gasket though, I made a set with gasket material I had laying around. If that doesn't work, I will look into the o-ring. Both sides had the gasket. Pics are below. [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/rpickle/019-4.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/rpickle/020-4.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/rpickle/023-4.jpg[/IMG]

quote:
Originally posted by leeave96
however, I have seen a newer Kohler Command that used the valve cover and a port off it to drive the fuel pump.
I bought a new Command CH18 for my Sovereign from Al Eden with a build date of August 2011. The fuel pump is driven off a port on the block, not from the valve cover.

quote:
Originally posted by DanD
quote:
Originally posted by leeave96
however, I have seen a newer Kohler Command that used the valve cover and a port off it to drive the fuel pump.
I bought a new Command CH18 for my Sovereign from Al Eden with a build date of August 2011. The fuel pump is driven off a port on the block, not from the valve cover.
That's how my Command's fuel pump is driven - port on the block. The tractor I saw the valve cover driven pump was on a 2010 Cub Cadet 2554. I think there are several configurations of valve covers for these engines. Bill

Well, while reading thru the maint manual, page 86 mentions there were 3 valve cover designs, one that uses a gasket and RTV, one that uses a black o-ring and the latest is a brown or orange o-ring. Torque is different per each type with my style needing 30 in pounds. Hope my fingers were calibrated correctly!