Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

She LIVES!!!!!

B110guy

Took the weekend doing other things and came back to my B110 this afternoon. I took RayS's advice and swapped spark plugs. I got one pop and a lot of cranking. Progress. Would get about one pop every 15-20 seconds (wasn't cranking that long, but on and off). Started messing with the settings on the carb and after a LOT of turning from the Briggs initial settings, she runs. Not sure if it's the aftermarket carb kit or what, but the 1 1/2 turns out on the main jet are more like 3 out. I can't get her to idle under 1500 and wide open seems to be about 3500 by my hand tach, but I was so darn happy with that that I left it alone for now. Never did put the new plug in to verify that, but I gapped the old one at .25 and put it in. Need to figure out a no charge issue, so when I have the hood off again, I might swap the new plug back in for grins and giggles. Thanks so much for helping me figure the old girl out. B110guy

Sounds like you may have a leaking gasket between the carb and manifold or between manifold and cylinder. Try getting it running and then squirting starting fluid or carb cleaner around these gaskets. If you hit an air leak you will definitely know it by the way the engine changes.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Sounds like you may have a leaking gasket between the carb and manifold or between manifold and cylinder.
that's a good possibility. good to hear you are making some progress.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Sounds like you may have a leaking gasket between the carb and manifold or between manifold and cylinder. Try getting it running and then squirting starting fluid or carb cleaner around these gaskets. If you hit an air leak you will definitely know it by the way the engine changes.
Interesting idea, Rod. I don't know this carb, but on my tractor, there's at least 2 possible carbs, one adjustable, one not. And I don't know if B110guy can adjust his idle jet either, or, as well. (?) But I like the 'test for leaks' idea. My experience is that carb cleaner on a running engine causes it to falter briefly. Thx again for sharing your experience.

Starting fluid is best used before she gets warmed up. Been there on my big tractors. I can adjust the main and idle jets on this carb. I was just so darn glad it ran yesterday that I didn't mess with it any more after it ran. Will play with it some time this week and see how much more fine tuning I can do. B110guy

The fact that you had to open up the main jet about twice the normal setting and also that the engine did not want to idle at a low rpm just indicated to me that you most likely had a leak that was allowing air into the engine that was not coming through the carb and you needed extra fuel to compensate for it. I like to do as much testing as possible before trying to fix something. I have fixed too many things, too many times, that weren't broke. Nowadays, I like to know what to fix before I start taking things apart, if I possibly can.

WD40 will work for leak testing and is less volatile. Float setting can make a big difference on needle setting . Float should be parallel to the throttle body it is mounted to when you turn it upside down .

It sounds a lot like the carb/egine gasket leak I had recently. I found it accidentally while tuning when it backfired and I got a chunk of gasket on my hand(turned out the carb bolts were slightly stripped and had to be helicoiled). New gasket installed and torqued, voila it runs like a watch in all ranges.

Not all WD 40 is flamable, I think? Read the can to see. I was told to use a propane tourch, that is not lit of course. That liquid stuff will burn and make a mess out of things. My thoughts are not getting enough fuel because of build up in the carb. Turning the screw out just allowed more fuel or some fuel to flow.

I tried some brake cleaner today that was supposed to be flammable. Didn't make a difference in the idle. This carb has been cleaned and has all new gaskets and parts in it. I think the big problem with the need to turn the screw out is it's an aftermarket kit. I set it to Briggs specs which should be the same as the kit I have, but not so sure. Starting to think my idle speed issue is related to my throttle cable. It has a "C" on it like a choke cable and seems to be too long. It slid out of the cable clamp above the carb today and the idle dropped to about 1300. Thinking I need a new correct cable. Will keep puttering with it. I'm just glad I got her running. B110guy