Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HD Tiller questions (final edit)

Brettw

So, seeing as we need more snow, I took the cab and blower off today and decided to install the new (to me) HD tiller. I have questions for those who are savvy to these units. After mounting, it appears as though the drive belt makes contact with the back of the seat pan. In the fully lowered position, it does clear, but if raised a bit it hits the pan. Next, with the skids the tiller uses, as "deep" as they could be set, it does not appear as though it would till all that deep, maybe 3" or so? Am I missing something? As an FYI, I do have the belt guard, I just didn't mount yet as I do not want to drill holes for the mounting bracket in the seat pan if I can avoid it. Also, it would seem to me the belt is a bit too long. In the fully raised position, the belt is definitely in a "do not run the PTO" position. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

It looks like the belt is too long, do you have the manual for this tiller? I have a pdf. for this tiller if you need it PM me with your e-mail address.

To me what I can see you don't have the double idle pulley setup there do you ??? I would say there is the reason you have the slack in your belt

My understanding is the double pulley setup is not required on the HD tiller. I did try to see if that was the issue just he same, and it does not work at all in conjunction with the HD tiller. But thank you for the input, all the dialog helps us all to understand!

Brett, below is the operators manual. You will need to use the bracket with two pulley. I have to use it on mine. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8bxM5rE5Cvh5kbp796Dq

Thanks to all. As usual, the help comes in in spades. I now have three operators manuals I can download thanks to Ray, BLT and RedBarnRick. I do see that the pulley assembly is required, something I was under the impression was not needed for the HD tiller. That is where I got off track. I shall reconfigure. Now, does anyone know what the maximum till depth is of this tiller? It seems like my old standard 36" tills deeper?

Take the depth shoes off the tiller and hang them on the wall. Everyone I have known that uses one of these does not use the shoes, including myself when I had one of those tillers. Its also what my dealer told me when I asked him about lack of tilling depth.

I am a bit late but your belt routing is wrong in the pics. Look closer at manual as think youll see the top belt goes under the pulley if i remember from memory. You can get the belt for cheap from vbelts4less :) I pulled my shoes off the 38" also. It has about same as 36" depth as the side plates end up under ground. So so much smoother that the 36" in the hard stuff yoru BGB will thanks you;)

Kevin: The belt routing is correct, I simply need the pulley assembly and I should be good to go unless the belt is too long.

Thanks to all. The dual pulley assembly did the trick, and the belt isn't to long. As I was wrapping it around a few extra pulleys, it shrunk somehow.:o) Works great, ready for some sod bustin'!

Thanks again, and thanks to Ray! That's his handwork on the pulley assembly!