Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

need some pictures of Briggs Vangaurd

dave7016

I installed a 18hp Briggs in my allis 917 a couple months ago and I ran it awhile yesterday and today. It seems to bog down very easily just driving up my mound system, like the govenor isn't working right and it doesn't seem to pull a lot of rpms. What I'd like to see is the throttle and govener linkage on similar briggs twins that any of you guys may have. Post here or email them to me if you could. Thanks for the help. Dave....email: twofishy4u@hotmail.com

You may only have one cylinder firing. Check your plugs. Friends have a Simp. with a Vanguard which fouls a plug sometimes. It will run on one cyl., but has no power.

thanks Bob turned out to be an ignition issue, no spark on lh side. Only running on 1 cylinder. This motor is NEW. So back out and I tested the coil and it is open. Can't believe it but since I installed this motor it has always ran the same and I have only about 20 minutes on it so far. Always thought it ran kinda quiet and sluggish for an 18!!!! REALLY smooth for only firing on the rh cylinder.