Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front Wheel Cap

merlinct7

Sometimes (usually) it's the little things that frustrate me. Like trying to figure out a way to remove the front wheel cap without mangling the cap or scraping the wheel up. What's the best way to remove these little buggers? Bob

I used painters tape and wrapped the hub cap and then put painters tap in my wrench and was able to work them loose.

Dynamite is a possibility. 8)8):D Took me forever. I used every tool I could find. And yes, I mangled them badly. I found an S-shaped nail puller helped a bit. They are pretty tight. Good news is that TSC has replacements for a couple of bucks. Assuming you are doing front wheel bearings, there's also a set screw that leaves a tiny metal burr on the spindle - that almost invisible burr can create a similar problem getting the main bearing parts to easily slide off - solution is fine sandpaper, or similar to remove that tiny little burr - otherwise, you might need more dynamite to get at the rest of it. These 2 minor disturbances made an easy job really hard for me. But the best part is getting your hands really greasy. 8D Caution - do not use dynamite anywhere on your tractor! sm00 Been there. You are not alone.

I ran into a curb with the T-12 the other day. Was asking the dog politely to get out of the flower bed, instead of paying attention. Hit the curb, steering wheel spun lock to lock, and the left front wheel popped off. I got my first lesson in front wheel assembly. Never did find the cap.OO

There's a special tool just for dust caps, it's called, (wait for it) a dust cap remover! A lot like pliers the tool has pointed jaws that reach over the cap and grab at seat (for lack of a better term) so you can rock the cap off. Of course the only pair that I have is at work! sm00sm02

It's top secret but use the claw end of a wonder bar against rim edge and cover lip ...works so good youll be amazed.

X2 on the claw hammer. A Wonder Bar would work as well, I guess. 1. Use a piece of wood between the tool and the wheel to keep from scratching it. 2. Move from one side of the cap to the other, prying it out a little at a time. 3. Once you've removed it once, it will likely be easier the next time, as you service the tractor. When they sit for a long time, they tend to get just enough moisture in them to rust tight...

This works good for me. Just use the small (yellow) end and stuff a shop towel of some sort behind it while prying. Good Luck

I stick wide flathead screwdriver or small prybar between the ridge on the cap and the wheel/hub. I dont pry, I twist, and then do the same on the opposite side. Usually 3 twists and then I can pull it off by hand.

Clamp my bearing separator in the groove between the cap and wheel hub. I then use a prybar against the bearing separator to keep from damaging the cap. To put them back on, I have a piece of pipe that I have the opened up the inside to that it fits snugly on the cap and allows me to install them without causing any damage.

I usually end up going with the flat bar, and the dust caps are pretty cheap, but I hate scratching up wheels. I've used the wood block idea and rags to pad the wheel but I usually end up with either the cap or the wheel at least a little buggered, not to mention the inordinate amount of time I spend on it. I like the idea of Reed's dust cap remover tool. Sounds like something everybody needs! Bob

Actually I just saw this video on this topic: [url][/url]http://www.ehow.com/video_2327686_remove-wheel-bearing-dust-caps.html Bob

I have done just what the guy in the video did for years on automobiles. Got my first Simplicity and found out that doesn't work on them. You will dimple the sides of the covers while trying to get enough force to rock them back and forth like he said. I did that on one of mine.

quote:
Originally posted by merlinct7
Actually I just saw this video on this topic: [url][/url]http://www.ehow.com/video_2327686_remove-wheel-bearing-dust-caps.html Bob
That what I was talking about.