Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
briggs9498

KT19 in Allis Chalmers 919

briggs9498
I have the chance to buy a nice 919 that needs engine work. The seller says it smokes real bad and the dealer said it needs to at least be bored for new pistons. Do any of you guys have much experience rebuilding these? I've ever only rebuilt the Briggs. Is this Kohler a cast iron or aluminum opposed twin? Also I have a nice 16hp Briggs that I'm currently rebuilding. Would it drop in or are the mounts on the frame different? I know the frames are cut out to fit the twins but I don't know about drive shaft length and engine mounts. Thanks in advanced and by the way what's a good price for it in this condition? [IMG]http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/tjjeep98/Allis%20and%20Simplicity/IMG_0415.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/tjjeep98/Allis%20and%20Simplicity/IMG_0416.jpg[/IMG]

briggs9498
I'm contemplating whether or not I want the 16 in my 7010 or this. I think I'm definitely going to get it even if just for parts. But it looks so clean that I feel I need to keep it and find a donor engine or rebuild. Now I'm very partial to Briggs and dislike Kohler engines but does anyone here have advice on this one? Is it worth rebuilding or shall I just put a 16hp Briggs in it? Worse comes to worse I have a complete hydraulic lift for my 7016H and will sell the rest for parts.

B10Dave
:D Rebuild the Kohler. I have been cutting grass with my 919H for 12 years with no problem. Twins are much smoother and quieter running than singles. My ears don't need protection while running the twin but end up buzzing if I cut the grass with a single. I cut about 1 1/4 acres. That nice of a tractor deserves to stay original.dOd Dave

MikeES
The KTs are notorious for breather problems. My KT smokes and uses oil when the breather is connected to the air cleaner. I now have tube running out of the breather down to below the frame...no smoke no oil consumption between changes. I believe that with breather tube connected to the air cleaner, it pulls too much negative and sucks the oil right out of the breather and crank case. If the engine is worn the crankcase will run a little positve and with the negative in the air cleaner the oil is pushed right to the carb. There is a update kit for the breather using a reed instead of the plastic umbrella for the valve. Check it out I think you will be surprised to find you have years left with that engine.

RayS
I would check the kohler website and see if the parts are still available in oversize or not and you could check to see what they go for with the part numbers. Maybe able to find NOS on ebay if NLA.

1Litre
The KT twin is cast iron cylinder bolted to aluminum block and can be bored oversize if piston are still available. The cost of these may change your mind about a rebuild. There are some other options. The breather was a problem and can cause oil consumption ,should be replaced if the bulletin shows you have the older version. Use a good quality air filter like the OEM or a WIX brand. Try 30W motor oil (no Synthetic) and run it wide open when you use it to see if consumption decreases.

briggs9498
Thanks guys it's good to know that a couple of you are running these engines. They seem less common than the single cylinder engines for sure as I've been trying to research the KT19 as much as possible. I've ran across the differences between the Series I and Series II. Dave and Mike just for reference which engines are in yours? I'm hoping this is a Series II with the pressure lube because I found that the Series I doesn't like slopes. I found the piston kit for around $150 on a couple online parts sites so that's not too bad of a price for two pistons and ring sets. The one states that they are original Kohler parts, if so I believe its a good deal. The owner agreed to $150 on the price I can't go wrong even if I'm left with a parts machine because the deck looks really nice and I'm in need of that hydraulic lift. Will make an update if I get it and will be checking out the breather as the first culprit. Thanks y'all, Fred

1Litre
You will not like how much $4.00 a gallon fuel that thing uses. Other engines you can put in is the v-twin CH model engine. Unfortunately the muffler is expensive to convert one . Take the cylinders off and measure them before you buy pistons.

MikeES
Fred, the engine I am talking about is a Series II. As far as fuel usage, the Kohler twin is no worse than the Kohler singles, but not as good as the Briggs singles. But...put on the bagger along with the deck, and the fuel use is the better than a 12hp Briggs single because with the more hp you don't get into the govenor. Put on the snowblower and now there is NO comparison...understand when the KT is in the governor it will suck fuel like crazy, but you rarely need the governor.

briggs9498
Glad to know that people are running these without any problems. I think I will rebuild if possible. I know the parts are available so as long as the block and crank are decent I will rebuild. I'm not too concerned with it using a lot of fuel because I think I will enjoy the 19 horses :D. Besides I think I'm stealing the tractor for the price that we agreed on so I can afford the extra gas for it :D.

ardisam
Fred, I will let you know that I had a chance to buy a KT19 and I did. The guy who I bought from did an excellent job of creating it up and shipped it out UPS, when I got it the carb was broken off the intake(good job UPS). By anyway I was going to rebuild it and found out the KT19 parts are pretty spendy. I think the std piston with rings was between $90 to $140. So, just for you to keep in mind. Plus, I ended up rebuilding the motor and put a KT17 crankshaft in, because its a little cheaper in parts. Good Luck Fred!

B10Dave
dOddOd Fred, my engine is the Series 11 and like I stated before; it has given me no grief in 12 years and soon will get tune up and oil change for this years cutting season. Dave

briggs9498
quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
Fred, I will let you know that I had a chance to buy a KT19 and I did. The guy who I bought from did an excellent job of creating it up and shipped it out UPS, when I got it the carb was broken off the intake(good job UPS). By anyway I was going to rebuild it and found out the KT19 parts are pretty spendy. I think the std piston with rings was between $90 to $140. So, just for you to keep in mind. Plus, I ended up rebuilding the motor and put a KT17 crankshaft in, because its a little cheaper in parts. Good Luck Fred!
I found a source that has the original kohler pistons and rings in a set of two for $150. It is a little spendy but well worth it because the tractor looks very nice.

briggs9498
Okay a little update on this engine. I have since got the tractor home and there are pics of it in the show and tell area. The engine is an 83 Series 1 KT19S. This means it has oil spray lubrication instead of full pressure. Now I know that most people knock these engines and say not to rebuild unless they are the Series II. I'm leaning towards rebuilding because the area it was run on was very hilly I saw it first hand and the tractor is believed to have well over 1000 hours so it's no doubt that this engine held up. The pistons are worn but cylinders look good. Can still see factory cross hatching in both of them. I will get both cylinders checked by a machine shop and see what they say before I make any purchases. But does anyone have any first hand experience with the series I KT engines? Also does anyone know how in depth it would be to make this a series II or is it impossible without a series II short block?