Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Tarheel

Simplicity ? PTO belts ?

Tarheel
I went to my local Simplicity dealer today to buy a PTO belt for my 3310V. I gave the lady behind the counter the part number 172066 and she brought me the belt. As she got near I had my doubts and when she handed me the belt I knew it wasn't what I expected. Instead of a cloth covered belt, she had given me a rubber belt. I'd been there/done that before and had no wish to go again. And so I told her I couldn't use it. (BTW, I didn't have my reading glasses on) With a confused look she turned the belt over and said "But it is a simplicity belt". Right she was. I couldn't believe it. Down through the years I have "repaired" more than one of this type of machine by simply removing a rubber coated belt and installing a cloth covered Simplicity belt. The trouble was always that instead of a smooth clutching action, The PTO slammed into operation, Would engage by its self etc etc. I would not accept that belt. I told the lady (always very pleasant to deal with and has a great working knowledge of Simplicity parts) that I didn't understand what was going on. Maybe this was something they had gone to that would in fact work OK but I couldn't bring myself to try it on my machine. So she calls Simplicity. The number has been changed and she was told the new belt had a Dacron sleeve. But they didn't say a word about this rubber coated belt and how it would work. Have any of you run into this ? If so, how did the rubber coated belt perform for you ? Does anyone recall these belts having been cloth covered some years back ?

hotrodtractor
the napa a144 I run the snow blower with seems to be more rubber coated than the simplicity ones or blue kevlar ones I have seen. The napa one made by gates works great and will be the only belt I buy for blower action, it seems to grip better no sequel and tough as nails and held up to the 31hp vanguard and a 2 stage blower all season.