Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spark Plugs

Brettw

Well, I can finally attest to a complete plug failure. I have been getting the father-in-law's 728 ready for sale. Anyway, start it, run it, putz, change the battery, start it again. I shut it off to adjust the drive belt and pulley, and I go to start it and it wont fire. So to start trouble shooting, I put a spark tester on the plug. Nothing. So I am about to really tear into the electrical system, and I figure, let's just ground the tester and see what we have, heck it was working fine 10 minutes ago. Grounded, I have spark. Nothing through the plug. $1.69 and a new plug later, runs like a champ. First time I have ever had a plug completely fail like that, and for absolutely no apparent reason. And the plug was fairly new with few hours on it. I have heard about it, but never experienced it. It does happen, go figure.

Had a Suzuki GS850g that had two plugs fail, at the same time. Were know good before installing. Bike was running but not near optimal. Backfired like crazy. Had a friend with a themometer that read the pipes. 2 were at 150 or so and the other 2 were at 80 or so! Ended up being 2 bad plugs...... I believe they NGK's.

I have NEVER had a plug go bad in any piece of OPE I have owned over the years, 2 or 4 cycle engine until the other day. I pulled out an Onan powered tractor, it fired and then nothing. Checked everything out and decided that it had been a year or more since this tractor had ran, so I replaced the plugs and it fired right up. The old plugs were Autolite (which I have had good luck with) and the new ones are NGK. Bill

I made the mistake of taking the plug recommended by a small engine shop. They sold me a Prestolite plug for a 12 Hp Kohler engine. The engine was started about 6 times and only ran about 30 minutes before the plug died. I put an old Champion plug in it and haven't changed it since then.

I have had several Champion plugs go bad. Will not buy one again. On one motorcycle, put in new champions, and one quit in only 5 miles. Oz

I have had good luck with Champion plugs in my Prestige for 10 years. That is what the service manual recommends as well. I am sure they all sell a bad one now and then.