Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Running Big Ten Now No Spark

bowhunt4life

Okay I busted out the Big Ten yesterday tightened the head bolts and got the beast running. Today I put the grill back on tightened down the hood and fired right up. Tweaked the Carb and it was running fine. Then it popped and quit, turned fuel shut off valve and watched the bowl fuel leak out bottom of carb. Couldn't get it to refire. Pulled plug and no spark?? Put in new plug and no spark?? Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks, Chris

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
clean and regap your points.
YES, check points. but double check for a bad wire/loose connection. been there a time or two and wound up being a bad connector on the wire going into the points. guess you cant rule out the coil just up and quit on ya. seen that too. hopefully it's nothing major and you get back up and going sm01

My plan is to take a file to the points and check the gap tonight. Oh I hope is isn't anything major. Thanks, Chris

So tonight I got home, took the cover off the points turned the key and saw a big spark then nothing. Filed the points and cleaned the plug wire good and promptly shocked myself trying to run motor. Then I tried again and got no shock no spark. I am guessing condenser?

As long as you will have the points cover off to File you might as well try pulling the ignition wire as BLT suggested. I've been posting in the show and tell about a 725 I picked up. After clean up and carb kit it hit intermittently. Last night as it got dark on me I noticed the keyed switch was sparking. I got the motor running with the switch in between run and stop. I have not had the chance to disconnect the wire and test but am sure the switch is bad.

One common mistake is to pinch the kill/coil wires in the cover when reinstalling the points. If in doubt, wrap them with electrical tape where it gets pinched or runs next to sheet metal edges.

Check your condenser if it is open cicuit inside .It keeps your points from arc over after they open and the coil field collapse to begin your spark at the plug. Then it unloads when the points close to begin charging up the field in the coil. If the condenser is shorted inside you have the same effect as grounding the circuit to shut off the engine. Mice could have nested under the blower shroud and knawed on the wires.