Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lift arm handle grip

perry

what is good to use to hold the grip back on a lift arm ?. were they just a tight fit from factory ?. i slid the old cracked one off and see no signs of glue. i have a real nice used one i slid on, but it is loose. tape ?, or some kind of glue ?.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/ebay-march006.jpg[/img]

back in the motorcycle days... if we thought we would never be there again we would wrap the handle bar with electrical tape, wet it with laquer thinner, and put the grip on... no more loose grip... but god help you if you ever had to take it off again... gooey mess. maybe just some electrical tape and push it on...

Talk to your local golf club re gripping guys. They have some kind of double sided sticky tape. They wrap it on the shaft, then douse it in acetone or something like that, slip the grip over it, adjust it so it is straight and then it sets up. It is stuck for good until it is cut off. As far as contact cement, if you wait until both pieces are dry to the touch like you are supposed to, there is no way you will slip that grip over the shaft. Trust me on this. Maybe if it is still wet it would work, but if you follow the directions, there isn't a chance in hades that you will slip that grip over the shaft.

Rubber cement too. On my bikes, I used to install the handgrips with soapy water and the soap residue would get sticky enough to hold the grip in place,,,,, until I would ride in the rain, then the grip would be a little loose for a day or so until the soap dried out again.;););)

Golf gip stuff. I'm tellin' ya. If I can hack away for thousands of strokes and never lose a grip yet, that's good in my book!:o)

I stuck mine on after the paint had dried but still was a bit soft. They dont move...the old ones I did peel off, I had to cut, and there were no signs of any adhesive.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Talk to your local golf club re gripping guys. They have some kind of double sided sticky tape. They wrap it on the shaft, then douse it in acetone or something like that, slip the grip over it, adjust it so it is straight and then it sets up. It is stuck for good until it is cut off.
My clubmaker did basically what Brett describes; but I think it was just wide masking tape, not double sided. And he used a paintbrush to spread solvent - which was mineral spirits, definitely not acetone. The solvent just made the snug fit slide easier, like lube, and it was then left to dry briefly. Removal was done by cutting grip off. The tape was also used in "number of layers" or "number of wraps" - this was a reference number for the resulting "thickness of the grip" in the hand of the individual golfer - part of "club fitting". I have also used soapy water technique on very tight bicycle foam grips, and never had problems with it slipping off, moisture being unable to enter beneath the grip. Still had to wiggle those on; no room for water.