Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is this a wise Investment?

chesney0613

Thank you in advance for all your input. I am looking to buy this tractor for $700.00. It is a Simplicity 7119 fully loaded. It looks a little weathered but overall in decent shape. It is actually for sale in the classified on this site also. I live in IL. I know of a few things wrong with it including, it's missing the deck deflector, I was also told when the mower is engaged it needs to be choked about 1/4 of the way to run good(I assume that that carbs need a good cleaning), and lastly but most importantly, I was told the engine was replaced not rebuilt as the add says with a 18hp Kohler Magnum engine versus the 19hp that originally came stock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also what to inspect when I go to look at it would be nice to know. Thank you again, Matt

To me, that seems a bit more than I would spend. It does not look like a very clean tractor and I find that an indicator of the overall life it has had. The newer engine is a plus, but it sounds like it isn't even running correctly. No rear lift, and the deck looks like it could use rollers. That's about all I can discern from the pics. The price isn't crazy by any means, but if it were me, I would do some more looking, or try to get that tractor at a number closer to the $500 range. That and 98 cents more, and you can get a cup of coffee. And a cheap cup at that.

quote:
a simplicity 7119 large frame garden tractor. has a 8 year old 20 vangaurd motor which cost 1300 to replace old motor runs great, a snow blower, deck which needs a bearing replaced, has cab, chains and weights, rear turbo vac bagger. hydro lift and drive. asking 1200obo
Just an example, here is one on CL in Waupun, WI. It looks fairly clean, and the blower and cab is worth the extra $500 right off the bat. Add in the rest of the goodies and you are way ahead with a cleaner tractor, newer engine and more HP. Again, just an example for comparison, and they may be going for more in your neck of the woods. BTW, welcome to the club.

The one below is a 5 to 10 years newer and has a command. I don`t know anything about it. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/2838831515.html

If your handy the 920 AC( same tractor with diesel power) in the classifeds is a great deal or the one in Wis. with cab and blower is a very nice package, and looks exceptionally clean, these tractors are built like tanks, start with a good one and they will last a long time.

Thank You everyone for your responses. I am going to take all your advice(It's hard not to when everyone agrees) and keep looking for a better deal in my area. You guys are great.

i also agree...get the tractor runnin right before ya sell it in my opinion...that one in waupan(I think milwaukee cragslist) is a pretty good deal if not great with the vanguard and everything else..if i was in the market i would b on that already....check it out and good luck!

See my ad in (tractors for sale) 7116 with blower in McHenry . You should come look at it . Very clean unit.

Thanks Brett. It is really nice now . Shined up with a coat of orange pledge . Touched up the bare spot on mower. I was able to reach the woman that had the tiller and I am going there tomorrow at 10AM to look for it.

quote:
Originally posted by chesney0613
Thank You everyone for your responses. I am going to take all your advice(It's hard not to when everyone agrees) and keep looking for a better deal in my area. You guys are great.
Offer $450.00, and see where it goes.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Matt, just so ya know, our Veep is a cheepskate. :D:D
HEY! I resemble that remark......;)

As the owner of the tractor i too also agree that the paint is weathered, and yes the carb does need some adjustment, but i think i can speak for anyone who had a item sold, made arrangements to deliver it, but then have the buyer back out a day before,that maybe a post like this ( seeking advice on a purchase) should be done before you commit to buying a item so that you are 100% sure you want and not to waste anyone's time.

Mike I do not need to explain myself to you. I would say it's quite childish of you to post on here. But to be fair to you, I did apologize for wasting your time, even if was only 12 hours. I'm sorry but like I said I found a better tractor on CL and wanted to get some knowledge from people who have owned them. I discovered this site after I talked to you. And to be accurate no arrangements were made to deliver any day or time only a price was negotiated. So yes I went to people who are Experts. I'm sorry, that is all I have to say and that's the end of it.

No one asked you to explain yourself, i was merely making a point whether it be 12 minutes of 12 hours its the idea of it, on another note im sorry if i did not include a comma to make it perfectly clear but the ad states "Simplicity 7119 with a 48" deck, hydraulic lift, has a kohler magnum 18 carb was recently rebuilt, new oil change w/filter, " Sorry for the confusion

A question was asked, then answered to the best of every one's own personal experience. Anything else could be miss-understood as interference between a seller and potential buyer. This thread has morphed into something no one really wants as no one else can comment and have anything constructive to add. This is why the Club does not get between any deals that might have been consummated as a result of contact on the Club. Take any disagreement outside of this forum. Take this as the one and only warning to those involved. I'm locking this topic to prevent any continued controversy.