Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

leaky triad

yukon

i just bought a sovereign with a good running triad engine the problem is it leaks oil seems like all over, anybody got any ideas where to start thanks.

Valve covers gaskets. From what I have read, there is no head gaskets. Might be easier to pull motor and pressure wash everything.

As Ray stated, the valve cover gaskets are the first place to look. And you pics are first I've seen that show how much worse the right side cover leaks compared to the left one. According to past posts, the valve cover mounted fuel pump flexes the cover and causes it to leak. I think many Triad owners switched to pulse or electric fuel pumps. With that much oil leakage, I'm surprised it's still a "a good running triad engine". There are many posts on the site about the Triad problems and fixes for them. A forum search will provide you a wealth of info.

You posted this a couple weeks back: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120412 In the above post you stated you bought the tractor pictured; it has power steering and the engine (from what you can) see looks much cleaner. The pic of the tractor in this post above doesn't have power steering. Did you buy 2 different tractors? The dealer do a switch on you? What's the story?

yes i now have 2 triads sunday i bought another sovereign with a triad in it this one runs good just leaks oil the first one is nice and dry good maintenance has always been first with me.heres pics of both of them

I had the same problem with one of mine. I took the valve cover off of the right side to change the gasket and the whole valve cover was warped from the fuel pump pushing on it. It's made out of some kind of plastic composite. I tried to heat it a little with a heat gun and then reform it to "flat" but it cracked. The lawn and garden places I called all said that Kohler showed it no longer available. I eventually found one on the net for $85 and put it on and you can't believe how smooth it ran afterwards. I think with the head warped the rod that drives the pump wasn't pushing far enough.

If you want that Triad to stay running for long pull it and powerwash all that grease off. Trust me theres oil and grass down in where you can't see it behind the flywheel cover. These engines pack with junk behind there and overheat very easily.

Hi, The Triad is not as bad as often stated. You MUST keep the valve covers sealed. I have some earlier posts on this. If you can't find them holler and I'll go further on this. Next be sure the fins are clean. If they get oily and debris sticks to them, the engine WILL OVERHEAT and drop a cylinder sleeve. Third, modify the air cleaner to allow allow all of the debris to blow through. If you can't find the pic of the air cleaner fix, I will find the pic and re-post it. I know many died an early death, but we also have some out there with over 1500 hours on them and still going. If it hasn't blown up by now, if it is kept clean and the trash can get out of the air cleaner, it may live to a ripe old age. From an old fart, Al Eden

Yes, the gaskets are still available and are part number 28 041 03-S. They are $2.16 at Jacks. Below you can get the owners, service manual and look at the parts diagram. According to my engine information manual your Triad is TH18S with a PS-54511 spec. number. http://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp