Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mulching Kit Question

lmoret

I recently purchased a 1997 Regent and am considering buying the mulching kit for it. I've read a few complaints from Regent owners on another newsgroup that said these machines don't mulch well. Is this true? What's included in the mulching kit and how much does it cost? I've mowed with it twice since I got it and the cut is awesome. I would really like to mulch but I'm not looking for any trouble. Please advise. THANKS Michael L.

Mike could you please give me more info on the Regent newsgroup?, FYI the mulch kits work well if you meet their requirements, if the grass is really dry, not that high, and you go extremely slow, they work rather well, you just have to do those things above and everything should work, other than that if you have questions give a hollar, we sell them on a regular basis to customers and they have good luck with them, thanks, and good luck-BradW

Hi Mike, I too would be interested in knowing the address of the Regent discussion site. I copied the original reply I made to your first posting on July 17. It speaks to your questions on mulching as well as maintenance of your tractor. Here it is: I purchased a new 2001 Regent and have been using the tractor since May 12. I love it! It has great maneuverability around tight areas (which I have a lot of them in my yard). The tractor does an excellent job bagging. I have had a lot of fun with the rollers making different designs in the lawn. My wife is starting to wonder about me!! I have had mixed results using the mulching kit. At first I was using Simplicity Eliminator blades which I learned were really designed to shred leaves in the fall. I was getting a lot of grass buildup under the deck with these blades which caused clumps of grass on the lawn. The dealer gave me the blades that come with the mulch kit and I had better luck with these blades. I have gone back to bagging because I found myself needing to cut the grass twice a week while mulching because of all the rain we have been getting. Even with the new blades I was getting grass clumps in the lawn. You definately can NOT go in reverse while mulching as large amounts of clippings drop from the deck when ever you backup. I do not know how your deck comes off given that it is a 1996 model. My deck comes off in less than a minute once you get the hang of it. It is a definate plus. I will caution you about being obsessive with trying the keep the underside of the deck clean. I started to remove the deck after every use while mulching to remove the buildup and I have scraped the paint off in several sections. If you are bagging you should not have too much buildup. I would only remove the heavy clumps that come off by hand. You can give the deck a good cleaning at the end of the season. Other members on this site have told me that the most important thing is storing the deck in a dry place for the winter and make sure that the deck is clean and there is no grass buildup which can trap moisture and lead to rust spots. For regualar maintenance the most importan thing you can do is change the oil and filter every 25 hrs of use and at a minimum every fall so that the tractor is stored with fresh oil in it. Old oil can break down sitting in an engine during the winter. Also use gas stabilizer to prevent fuel gumming up the carburetor. Good luck with your Regent, Simplicity makes a great tractor. If you have any questions this site is an excellent resource to get answers. This site was one of the things that convinced me to buy a Simplicity. Take care, Marc PS Where do you live? There is a tractor show to be held in Connecticut on October 8th. I may try to attend this show since I live in Rhode Island.

The older 36" Regent mowers (1976-1995) with equal length blades were not really designed with mulching in mind, however they perform exceptionally well for side discharging and catching. The 38" mowers (1996-present) were completly redesigned with side discharge, catching and mulching in mind.