Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Coating???

leeave96

What do you folks paint or coat the underside of your mowing decks with? I have used slip plate (used on moldboard plows) on the decks of my other color tractor's decks with some success. Just curious as to what you might use. Thanks! Bill

There are a couple folks that used a coating like Rhino Liner. Looks really nice but do not know how well it held up. I don't use anything myself. Just try not to cut when grass is wet and also blow the clippings out after each cut. I am refurbing a 42" deck, so may try a Por15 product underneath. They have some nice products.

Graphite paint to keep the stuff from building up and sticking. Some stuff sticks in the places where it normally builds up alot but not as much. I use it on the snow plow and the blower exit chute.

I use nothing really; occasionally a used motor oil beauty treatment. 8D Mine's on and off tractor all the time, so I scrape and pressure wash every 3-4 weeks, as required. Shots spindle grease. Install belt proper routing. sm03 Real basics. Minimize the tedium. But do it. I believe whatever coating beneath is already gone, or gonna be. Also Ditto on DON't mow in WetGrass. normal buildup from normal dry grass minimizes rust and mold, and it protectively coats the deck, if dry. strange, it's the only thing that won't wear off. 8)

I use nothing. I have a NOS deck that was orange and I painted over it with black paint after the second or third mowing both the black and orange paint are sand blasted off by cutting and mulching leaves. Nothing will last long. I use gator blades and after you do leaves in the fall the under side is nice and clean. I don`t use deck covers either and that is where the real deck rot begins. Oh, If you have kids, I don`t recommend leaving the covers off. I have a deck that is spotless from never using covers.

I use nothing. I painted the deck a few years ago, and the paint is still intact. I mulch a lot of leaves in the fall to get the old clippings out, then I hit it with the pressure washer, and scrape it with a putty knife. I think it is most important to mow dry grass.

I just picked up a can of POR-15 black to do my new Prestige deck and like Ray I take all the shields off the top cause I don't have any young ones around. POR paints are not cheap.

I like to mow dry leaves in the fall. It is like a mild pumice and cleans real good. If I cut a real heavy grass, I'll wash it out.

I posted these pics on another thread, but they are relative to this topic. First - I pressure washed the underside of my deck.

Then I coated everything with rust-o-leum rusty metal primer.

Lastly, I put 2 coats of slip plate on the deck. I got a nice thick coat on there.

I don't consider the slip plate a permanent solution, but something I like to do at the end of every mowing season. Thanks! Bill

Slip plate is the same as the graphite paint I get from CASE IH . The label had slip plate on it in the past so they probably make it for CASE IH. Good stuff.

Linex is top notch. And so is it's cost. As good as Linex is, I wonder if it would hide cracks that form in the metal that is now permanently sealed? Linex has a product for coating a garage floor. There too, it's really expensive.

Linex is tough stuff no doubt. They use it on concrete block perimeter walls of the pentagon when they rebuilt it after 911. 1/4" thick ,what do you think that cost? You can cut the covers so the outer stays on for protection and open to the [img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img]er of the deck for easy cleaning.

http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117302 mine cost $100 per deck but got qoutes for up to $500 :O has held up well and looks nice, but wow it's heavy now

I use premium grade rubberized undercoating from the auto parts store. $8.00 for a large rattle can. I can coat 2 decks per can. Pressure wash and touch-up a couple times each summer.:)

quote:
Originally posted by 1Litre
Linex is tough stuff no doubt. They use it on concrete block perimeter walls of the pentagon when they rebuilt it after 911. 1/4" thick ,what do you think that cost? You can cut the covers so the outer stays on for protection and open to the [img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img]er of the deck for easy cleaning.
Linex' claim to fame is coating cinder blocks at their trade shows and letting potential customers smack the block with a sledge hammer and cutting the block apart before closing for the day. They show what happens to the block without the Linex being ruined. So, I would be concerned about cracks in the deck from vibration or unwanted impact.

The mix of big trees on the properties I mow tends to negate the need for coating as long as any wet is rinsed/scraped upon finish. The nuts/twigs tend to abrade the surface smooth, particularly in the fall and spring though it also tends to make the blades dull quickly. The deck being off for blade sharpening is good for checking for buildups too. How much is LineX btw?

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz How much is LineX btw?
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrodtractor mine cost $100 per deck but got qoutes for up to $500 has held up well and looks nice, but wow it's heavy now

I used the POR 15 silver on the bottom and top but coated the top with the black frame paint from POR. The silver will not hold up to UV light. I just have begun to use my sunstar and last night I got under it to scrape off the wet grass with a paint scraper. That stuff is tough. Couldn't scratch it if I tried. :)) Worth the $$$ any day!