Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lighting coil and pull starting a 15hp

tobski

Is it manageable to pull start a 15 hp 325431? Do alot of people here use this starting method? I have one that needs an entire starter/generator set up and everything else electrical related, I just thought of pull starting it until I'm willing to sink more money into it. While looking at a couple of websites selling parts, I cant find anything resembling or named a lighting coil, maybe they were never made for older briggs engines,...I have an engine that does not have any starter/generator on it (325431-0126). I thought of using it but might also want lights to work on it, but thought maybe it's possible to run lights with it using a lighting coil..usually lighting coils are mounted behind flywheel and use/gather energy from the flywheel in motion.. anyone ever see these on Briggs L head single cast iron cylinders? If it were cheap and easy to buy a whole starter generator set up I think I would, but right now I'm just looking at different options. Thanks to all who have responded to prior posts, and this one..

You can start with a rope off of the booster fan. They also made recoil for these but it would work because of the drive shaft. I have a 16hp briggs that was on a vac system that was recoil start. I think you are refering to a stator when you mention lighting coil. A starter generator is 15 amps and provides enough to run lights.

I have the grooves in the booster fan for a pull start system, might be pretty inconvienient in a b-10, I will research more if the stator has to do with the lighting current, sure it does,..I wish it were as easy as just putting something around flywheel to gather current and send to lights.......all this isnt a big priority I know it can be pull started if I use this engine, just lights might not work. Thanks

you can start a B10 at the bgb with a rope on the right side. A B10 never had a stator under the flywheel. They used a starter gen. and a voltage regulator on the battery support tower to charge battery.

I didn't have a pull start pulley on my 2110 BGB, when the S/G was "out to lunch". I did a make-do by wrapping a rope on the front PTO pulley. Since the engine was just rebuilt at the time, it was usually one or two pulls, and she was running. It was just a pain, when the weed-eater or blower was mounted (had to slide the belt on HOT). Wayne