Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best way to clean a fuel tank

shovelhead

I'm putting this out there for ideas on the best way to clean a old tank. I have cleaned alot of old Harley tanks but none was as bad as these old tractors that have set and built up all that black stuff in them. Thanks,..Dennis (shovelhead)

Thats what I have been doing but useing a small piece of chain on a string. Thats the way the old Harley boys do it instead of rock. Just pull chain out with string. Just seems not to be cutting that black coating. Been useing gunk engine clean and gas as cleaning fluid. Thanks BLT,..I'm a shaking it boss. ( Cool Hand Luke ) LOL

I have had good luck with muriatic acid. I also have had bad luck with it on one tank. If the rust blisters the out side of the tank and you leave it in to long it will eat right through it. I put it in for 5 to 10 minutes and slosh it around and the tank is usually spotless when done. Probably should dilute and use in a well ventilated area. Neutralize with baking soda. Works for me. Be very careful.

I throw some nuts and bolts in the tank, add a little oil, bungee it to a back wheel and drive the tractor around for a half hour to two hours or so...check and repeat. Usually, after mowing my 2 acres its pretty clean. Boox

These tanks seem to have had some sort of galvanized coating when new. I try to keep from removing it if possible. Bolts, rocks, or anything abrasive will take it off and it will begin to rust quickly. If the tank is already rusty then you're coating is probably long gone anyway and you can't do much harm. If its just filled with varnish, I'd look for something other than rocks or bolts.

Hello, This is my first post, but I have been pouring over this amazing site for a couple years now. I thought I would chime in because I am cleaning a rusty gas tank off my early B10 right now. My father and I built a tank tumbler from a 120V 1RPM gear motor. We hose clamp the tank to a large bar and add 1/2" ceramic media to the tank and let it go for as long as it needs. It has worked great for small tanks, motorcycle tanks, and even big tractor tanks.

I started to say welcome to the club but I see you are not in yet,..Its the beast $10 you will ever spend. Thanks for joining in advance. Dennis (shovelhead) P.S. Tank tumbler sounds like a good idea,...Thanks