Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Photo request

Kent
Is this the picture in your book? It's from one of the early one-piece decks, but should be about the same as your B-110. I can't help otherwise. Mine is not original, as far as I can tell. It is just a flat piece of bar stock, about 6" long, that is bolted into the UPPER HOLE (same as that used for snowblower, blade, etc.) This gives almost too much lift -- if I'm not careful and raise it too far it will engage the mower blades just by adding tension to the center PTO....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/rotary_mowers.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/mower1_ops/figure3_small.jpg'][/a]

StinKy
thats odd, drawing shows a mower LIFT LEVER which is'nt on my 64 landlord. Mine has the lift arm only. I have the same situation as you Kent, ie., lifts high enough to re-engage the pto. Question I've always had was it really a chain used for lifting guess I know now. I'm sure my old girl has been "re-engineered" thru her thirty odd years of working for who knows how many owners.

Roy
The picture above by Kent appears to be what was originally on my B-1. I replaced it with a cable and pulley lifting from the center of the deck. The chain & lever lift the deck "off center" so the deck hangs crooked when raised. I still have the original pieces around somewhere in the mess I call a garage. Roy

I'm so excited! I can actually contribute to this group. Here is what things look like on my 63 (spring steering wheel?) landlord with a 42" deck. There isn't a great deal of travel in the lift arm to raise/lower the deck, or at least how it is currently adjusted. Good luck, Galen http://chainsaw.rutgers.edu/~gwork/misc/decklift.jpg

MPH
If someone could post a pic of the mower lift arm on a B series 42 inch I sure would be grateful. My book shows a piece of bent strap Iron with 2 holes in it that bolts onto the tractor lift lever with a chain to the mower deck, I found a similiar lookin piece that came with the pick-up load but it extends outward to the edge of the deck and makes no sence at all. I used it last nite as was jerry rigged with the added chain directly to the tractor but that only give me about 1 inch of lift. Like that mower so well after first use I want it right now that I have experienced why you guys are all so thrilled with these ole mowin machines.. Thanks a lot...MPH

MPH
Thanks all the feed back guys, that lift arm being straight makes sence, the bend in mine right where it would attach to the lift arm looks factory as the paint shows no stress, I didn't want to take the 3 pounder to it in case I wasn't seeing some Simple tech. again. Roy, your cable lift does sound interesting..thanks again...Glad I mowed in the lite rain last nite as it has poured all day today,2plus inches, forst fire insurance as the last one was 1/4 mile from home..MPH

Roy
Gang, I'll try to get some photos this weekend and send them to Kent for posting. Basic description goes like this. I made a lift bracket for the deck from a piece of small angle iron. It bolts to the deck wiht two 1/4-20 bolts across the joint for the belt covers. The top half of the bracket has a hole for a lift cable. Then took a garage door cable pulley and an angle bracket bolted to the side of the tractor frame in an existing hole. The bracket is angled slightly to change the cable direction slightly and help the cable track. On the lift lever I used a spacer with a groove on it held in the 2nd hold from the top on the lift lever with a clevis pin. Don't remember where the spacer came from. Maybe a lamp part. Used a garage door lift cable (1/8" dia.) and made a cable with an eye on each end. An "S" hook connects the cable to the deck bracket. I used coathanger wire and a shortened screen door spring to go from between the right footrest and the cable beneath the pulley. The sping keeps tension on the cable so it does not jump the pulley but allows the cable to straighten when the deck is lifted. Has worked good for years. Is also easy to unhook. Release the spring and the cable has enough slack to pop over the pulley and allow unhooking the "S" hook and clevis pin in the lift lever. Photos will help clarify the description above. Roy