Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuilding a 23D - What do I need to know

MittenB10

Hey All, I finally got my B10 pressure washed off, rolled into the garage and about to yank the 23D for an overhaul. Recommendations or suggestions on items I absolutely have to do or should consider doing while I have it torn down. The darn grass is growing and I'm getting nervous!

Let me preface it by saying "might" have to rebuild :) About 12 years ago when it quit on me, I was much younger and didn't know much, thought I seized it up and ended up pulling the head off it. My process will be as follows: - Make sure everything rotates properly - Inspect cylinder - If all looks well, new head gasket, reassemble and get through the summer months. - If all looks out of whack, she'll get a rebuild. Anything specific I should be looking for?

Just for you Bob I went out to my garage and did some quick inspections. Popped the head off, everything appears to be clean inside the cyl. no big scratches, etc. It hasn't run in 12-13 years so I cannot fully answer the lack of power other than saying, no. I just remember that it just quit on me one day and I couldn't crank it - even by hand. I could just need to source a head gasket at this point and see what I can make of it all.

I assume now it spins freely and oil level is oK. Did you try a compression test and verify that you have a good spark? If you have a metal clad gasket, I would reuse for testing purposes, then get a gasket. I can't explain why it seized up. Maybe it came from BGB side. I am trying to help you narrow it down.

While you have it down(if it's that far down) inspect the rod and piston. I just had a piston blow on mine last year from fatigue cracks, taking the valve train out with it(that I had redone the year previous). The parts are available and it's a lot cheaper to inspect than it is to waste it ;) Lubrication of the rod journal is important too if it has sat for a long time, not always needed but good measure.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
I assume now it spins freely and oil level is oK. Did you try a compression test and verify that you have a good spark? If you have a metal clad gasket, I would reuse for testing purposes, then get a gasket. I can't explain why it seized up. Maybe it came from BGB side. I am trying to help you narrow it down.
Oil level is good, it needs to be changed. No I did not try a compression test. Unfortunately I do not have a head gasket so I'll be sourcing that (or a couple) and get it back together. Is there something common on the BGB side that would hang up?

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
While you have it down(if it's that far down) inspect the rod and piston. I just had a piston blow on mine last year from fatigue cracks, taking the valve train out with it(that I had redone the year previous). The parts are available and it's a lot cheaper to inspect than it is to waste it ;) Lubrication of the rod journal is important too if it has sat for a long time, not always needed but good measure.
Good info - thank you! If all goes well, I'm hoping to get through the season and do a complete tear down this fall/winter to begin the restoration process.

quote:
Originally posted by MittenB10
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Oil level is good, it needs to be changed. No I did not try a compression test. Unfortunately I do not have a head gasket so I'll be sourcing that (or a couple) and get it back together. Is there something common on the BGB side that would hang up?
It is possible input brg could sieze. Check input shaft on BGB to insure it doesn't wobblbe and it that is OK , hold input shaft and turn either pulley. That travel shouldn't travel more then a 1/16" to an 1/8" on the outer diameter. If that passes BGB would appear to be OK. I guess then install new head gasket and run to see what happens.

Good info. I'll do some checking on it over the next couple of days and let you know my findings. Any suggestions on sourcing a head gasket? Just stick with Partstree or?