Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" Tiller

Britt

Finally got the 917H and 36" tiller in the garden yesterday. Purchased this setup a couple months back and have been working mainly on the tractor changing fluids and other things. Tiller looked to be in good shape so it just got a new belt and a grease job. One pass from finishing and all came to a sudden stop. The belt still turns but the tines on the tiller do not. I am assuming a chain broke or came off a sprocket inside the case. I have searched for some pointers on breaking down the tiller but didn't come up with much. Does someone have any pointers or advice on the easiest way to get into the chains on a model 1690039 36" tiller? I want to repair this the right way and replace any broke or worn parts since I have a big yard to tear up this summer and do not want to have any more problems. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a great site, Thanks.

Check for a broken key on the tiller drive shaft. If you have to get into tiller it splits sideways. Some where I have a repair manual on it.

I looked for a broken key or shear pin but didn't see anything yesterday. I will look it over better tonight after I remove it from the tractor. Thanks for the help.

I found an old lawn tractor wheel with the same shaft size as the tiller. Once you pull the tines and guards off you slide the tiller shaft into the wheel and thet held it nicely. I threw scrap iron pieces in the dish to balance the whole thing. Do not place a link in the chain if it broke. Replace the chain.

quote:
Originally posted by Britt
I looked for a broken key or shear pin but didn't see anything yesterday. I will look it over better tonight after I remove it from the tractor. Thanks for the help.
Pg 30 , item 33. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEDGP_byN1tG_Exj7mRgtLvBCd6