Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

colincox1

Rumble / play on bearing on input shaft of BGB

colincox1
Hi, Please help, on a 7117H, BGB input shaft from engine, has developed some play, only barely noticeable, and just audible, but its there. When I visited osenga I checked to see what his BGB was like on a similar AC tractor was like and I definitely confirmed I have play in mine. I checked and compared the play on the output side and I would say mine BGB was better. no leaks either. so now to the questions. Are the bearings available, and estimated cost, and how easy is it to change. and how critical is it to continue to work the tractor. Appreciate your knowledge/and advice wise ones.

RayS
I have seen them with over a 1/16th play in them with all new parts. How much play is it? All the parts are available new. If there isn`t much in it I wouldn`t spend the money yet.

1Litre
Push the clutch pedal when it is runningto see if it stops making noise. Many times it is the the idler pully bearing . Place a pen magnet threw the filler hole in the BGB and swirl around in the oil. When you pull it out you will have the answer.

colincox1
Thx to all, Ray, RBR and 1L once again a great advice, a follow-up 1. no diffence when applying clutch 2. no bits in the oil, magnet search 3. oil changed, no bits 4. play is difficult to assess, but it is small, it is the order of 1/16th or even less. so I am going to leave it. and will update you all, when something if anything changes. thank-you again.