Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ken728

Big Ten Engine Pulley

ken728
Gents, can this group of components come off together as the pictures show I'm about to attempt? (the drive hub, pulley, spacer and shroud) This is a 243431 Briggs from a Big Ten. I've ruined a few pulleys in my day by mis-diagnosing the situation so I figure I'd ask. I'm sure there is a better purpose built puller for this job, but my setup may work. Agreed?

BLT
That looks like it is aluminum and a Bernz-O-Matic will work a lot better then a puller. Heat applied to the hub will cause the aluminum to expand enough to where you should be able to rotate hub back and forth. Then with some penetrating oil, you should be able to work if off.

ken728
OK thanks guys. I'll continue with the PB blaster treatment and let it work for a day or two. I tapped on the hub a bit but no sign of it wanting to budge. This tractor had been sitting for about 8 years so I'm thinking things are pretty well stuck.

PeppyDan
It looks like cast iron to me because of the rust that is on it and I would put a little pressure on it from the puller and then give the lead screw of the puller a few raps with a hammer. It should show its willingness to move at that point. Dan

ken728
Penetrating oil for a few days did the job - still had to use the puller but once they started to move it was no problem. Good thing I did this. There was a lot of crap in behind the flywheel as well as in the bottom of the housing. I'll check the points, etc and maybe try to get this running next weekend.