Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
DRofHEAT

help needed on B&S 19d on a 725

DRofHEAT
got the old 725 running after freeing up stuck exhaust valve bought a carb kit cleaned tank new fuel line had t wait 3+ weeks for the part now have completely cleaned the carb and all back together well it pours gas out of the bottom and wont start with out starting juice but once running black smoke leaking gas no power but high revs and will idle what do i do now ? thanks Len

sounds familiar...when I got my 725 I had a fountain coming from the carb. I would start there. I'm not an expert on engine designs but I suspect your carb is similar to mine; check that the float isn't stuck, make sure the idle and float needles are seating correctly, then finally if that doesn't do it, take the carb off the engine while the gas line is still attached and look into the air intake to determine where the leak is coming from. For me it was around the base of the high rev adjustment screw that goes across the intake. The tiniest "bit" of permatex as a seal at the junction of the carb and adjustment screw did the trick. Some members here warn against this method, but I'm afraid desperation got the better of me. My black smoke was that I put too much oil in the reserve. I'm sure someone else can give you much more precise answers, but at least you know others have been there and managed to overcome. Good luck, Galen

John_RI
Below is a link for carb tips. Sounds like you may have more than one problem. Better refer to your manual for proper governor, linkage, and jet set up.[A href='http://www.perr.com/tip9.html']http://www.perr.com/tip9.html[/a]

StinKy
I rebuilt my carb using the tips that Herb put a link to and it works well. My carb was junk and had a hole in the bottom of bowl which I fixed with J B Weld. If you use those tips I think you will successful with your carb. Do you have a Briggs manual ? If not I would strongly suggest you get one. Check out the link Herb sent and follow those steps, check out the B & S manual and follow their steps too. Between the two you should be on track. Check your float like someone suggested, take it out and shake it, you should not hear any gas sloshing around it it. You will know if it has a hole when you shake it. Good luck, Al