Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My little plow

huffy

I was at the dump last weekend discarding some kitchen cabinets that I recently replaced, when I saw this old guy throwing away this plow. It's off an old David Bradley walk behind tractor. The old guy said that he sold the tractor about 15 years ago, but forgot about the plow sitting in his barn. I've been kind of wanting a plow to plant some stuff for my "pet" deer to eat, but haven't wanted to pay the $200+ they go for around here. This one's a little small, but hey, it was free and it only took about 30 minutes and some scrap steel that I had laying around to modify it to work on my old Landlord. And, as you can see, it did the job. (At least, it was doing the job until I ran out of gas).

I have one of the 6 inch plows from a walk behind. It works great. Just doesn't move as much dirt with each pass as a 10 inch plow would.

I used my 8" plow to do a 1/2 acre for the deer and was amazed at how the 9hp 64 landlord and the plow moved the dirt. Nice work.

Even though it's just an 8" plow I thought the tractor might have problems with it since I don't have AG's yet and didn't put the tire chains on or add any weight. It never checked up, though, even with just those slick turf tires. Now, if I can just get my old tiller working, I'll be good to go. Er, well, I also have to figure out exactly how to plant and grow corn, since I've never done it before, but once I study up on that then I'll be good to go.

When I did my food plot I plowed, sprayed with round up and waited, then I tilled it up, then broadcast the corn and drag. I'm wondering if you couldn't get away with just walking down the rows droping in your seed corn and then drag and you would have straight rows of corn.

If you're really serious about staying in the seat, take all the tines but 3 evenly spaced ones off a cultivator, to make your furrows, then drag a board to cover them. Still gotta walk to drop the seeds, unless you can get the wife to help :D:D;);)

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
Still gotta walk to drop the seeds, unless you can get the wife to help :D:D;);)
I was thinking that if I put a bigger drive pulley on the tractor would go slow enough that I could just creep along and drop the seeds from the seat. :D

Looks like nice plowing there.dOd If you're not having any problems pulling the plow, I wouldn't do anything to the tractor as far as weight and tires go, why try to fix something that works just fine?? Manuals from Brinly and the Simplicity manual are pretty straight forward and have the same tips in them for any size plow. Just make sure the plow is allowed to swing from side to side some in case you have an abrupt meeting with a stone.:O:O 8" and 10" driven pulleys are available from Tractor Supply and the belts are as well. I don't have the Mfr. number in front of me, but the Simplicity book I'm referring to has the correct belt sizes for whichever pulley you choose.

Very nice. I can't wait to get my 2210 and have it set up for a Brinely 10". My wife wants a garden....she really had to twist my arm.

That did a great job! I noticed the same thing my first time plowing...I didn't need weights, etc., but did still ahve the chains on from winter. I since have plowed with plain turfs and really have had no problems. These machines pull a plow very nicely.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Looks like nice plowing there.dOd If you're not having any problems pulling the plow, I wouldn't do anything to the tractor as far as weight and tires go, why try to fix something that works just fine??
I'm going to switch to AG's when I tear the tractor down to restore it, which I'm hoping to get to pretty soon. Those turf tires that are on it are pretty old and starting to get some cracks in them. Besides, I'll never use this tractor for mowing, just playing in the garden.

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Looks like nice plowing there.dOd If you're not having any problems pulling the plow, I wouldn't do anything to the tractor as far as weight and tires go, why try to fix something that works just fine??
I'll never use this tractor for mowing, just playing in the garden.
Just like my Landlord. dOddOd

The last time I planted corn, the pheasants (when we still had quite a few) decided to "unplant" the sprouts. They found the young stems to be convenient handles to pluck the plants out of the ground. That got them access to the kernel. SO I had to follow them and replant the sprouts. Incidentally most of the "replants" took. Wayne

There haven't been any wild pheasants up here since the early 70's (or so I'm told, since I wasn't alive back then). Rumor has it that a pesticide they spread for the cherry trees killed them off, but who knows. Turkeys, now, are another matter. There's a flock of about 30 or so that lives in my woods and comes through my yard every morning on their way to my neighbor's house across the street, since he's got a corn spreader set up to feed them. They might do some damage to the corn when I plant it, but so be it.

Turkeys can turn over dirt about as fast as one of these plow }:) BUT...I love to eat wild turkey :p

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
Turkeys can turn over dirt about as fast as one of these plow }:) BUT...I love to eat wild turkey :p
I likes me some wild turkey, too. But, like my "pet" deer, the turkeys that live on my property aren't for shooting and eating - just for looking at. Some people think it's ridiculous that I drive an hour to hunt when I have so many deer and turkeys in my own back yard, but I've done things that made less sense. The coyotes now, they're another matter altogether. I shoot every single one of those little buggers I can. Unfortunately, though, they seem to multiply faster than I can legally bag them.

It was tough coyote hunting this year in Central WI. I do most of my hunting with a FoxPro caller and my trusty AR-15 or Winchester 22-250. Only pulled the trigger once and missed, a cupcake shot I wish I could have over. However recently have seen quite a few more. I plan on taking the fawn decoy out in May and doing some more calling. For fun I have a couple websites; www.teamdelapp.com and www.songdogassassins.com Hope to take my 10 year old daughter turkey hunting in two weeks. Tom's are fanned out all over with this warmer weather. -Chris