Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Unimportant question about CH18 Kohler Command

DanD

I've been planning on asking this for a while, now finally getting to it! Anyway, I recently put a new CH18 in my Sovereign that previously had a Triad. Anyway, when one removes the air filter, there are two rubber hoses that end right where the intake air is being drawn into the carburetor. One comes from the crankcase breather. The other goes out and just ends near the fuel pump. It is not connected to anything and is sealed off for this application. I was just wondering what this other tube would be used for in a different application? Probably something obvious, but I can't figure it out and couldn't find the part in the Kohler parts list. Thanks for any insight. Can get a picture if needed.

Unimportant? hey, why not. To this unimportant armchair mechanic, it sounds like your breather is working, and you have, or had, perhaps optional(?) 'pulse' fuel pump. But that's unimportant until verified by someone with important and more experience. That's my humble opinion; I could be wrong. I'd bet a looney on it. 8D

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Unimportant? hey, why not. To this unimportant armchair mechanic, it sounds like your breather is working, and you have, or had, perhaps optional(?) 'pulse' fuel pump. But that's unimportant until verified by someone with important and more experience. That's my humble opinion; I could be wrong. I'd bet a looney on it. 8D
The engine has a pulse fuel pump. This hose is sealed off and not connected to the pump.

Bob, There are 3 lines connected to the pulse fuel pump; two come off at the 7 o'clock position and one at the 11 o'clock position. The 11 o'clock line goes to the carb, the upper 7 o'clock to the block (pulse line), and the other 7 o'clock line from the fuel filter (tank). Dan, My guess about the extra line is to suck fumes from another anti-pollution feature (say a CA box around the fuel filter?). You could probably find out what it's for by looking at the parts lists for different spec'd Commands. I've found different spec numbers show different parts figures and parts list for the same basic engine. Happy hunting if you search. ;)

Hi, The new CARB regulations require non permeable fuel tanks, non permeable fuel line, sealed caps and the vents must go to a carbon canister. This canister must be mounted above the fuel tank so NO liquid fuel can enter it. The out side of the canister MUST go to the inside area of the air cleaner for a low pressure source to burn the vent fumes. This is the California Air Research Board for this year. I believe next yr the EPA makes it nation wide. I know the OEMs have had to go to the non permeable tanks this year. The old fuel line and tanks let too many molecules of gas penetrate them and get into the air. The new "green" and it is identified with a green line on it is a pain, it is slippery on the inside and needs more aggressive clamps to keep it on. Plus it costs a bunch more, like 4 or 5 times. If you notice many new engines say not for sale in California. If it is a 50 state engine then you can sell it in California currently. A couple of years ago, the EPA people were at Louisville Expo going from booth to booth checking the certification of Chinese engines being promoted there. Serious problems for some vendors/mfrs. All new engines must have a port molded in the air cleaner with a knock out or similar for the canister. We have had to switch from translucent 6 gallon tanks to permeable and canisters for our Honda grain auger kits. As I understand it all new fuel cans (like the red spout cans) Also will have to be made of non-perm material. On a side note, just went to an all day Kohler Fuel Injection school Tue. Looks like the new Delphi package is slick and it typically adds about $400. to new units and cuts fuel consumption about 20 to 25%. This about 500 less than the previous Bosch system cost. It is also a closed loop system as the Bosch was. Great class. Al Eden