Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

heron

How should the carb look?

heron
Trying to figure out my carb when it's running erratically. 590 hours on Kohler CH20s... When looking in while running under the choke flap gas comes out of this port and flutters..doesn't do it smoothly..is this normal? When I rev it up it comes out in an uneven spray...not misty like I'd think it would..wrong or right? At full throttle it seems to drip from that same port..correct? Can you get rebuild kits for these and is it worth it or do people just end up springing for new carbs? Is there a trick to cleaning them out without dis-assembling them and having to replace gaskets. I've already done seafoam, gas dryer, high test non ethanol gas...etc..

D-17_Dave
Not enough info to diagnose it properly. Does it run poorly all the time and or at all throttle positions? Have you checked the plugs for a visible difference. Have you pulled the plug wires off one at a time to make certain that both cylinders are firing. If you have a vacumm gauge can you install it on the intake manifold and take a reading of the needle. Obviously it should not spit gas back out the carb. Have you tried leaning out the main jet a little?

heron
No visible difference in plugs. No, have not pulled the plug wires b/c it has plenty of power cutting so I doubt only one cylinder is firing. Have not really done anything since I bought it last year. Tuesday was the first real cutting day for it and I had already done a basic tune up. I don't know these motors at all and have nothing to compare it to so I'm not sure about how it should sound. I started a thread Kohler/Sunstar problem on Tuesday night so maybe if you read that it may help. I'm going to put some carb cleaner to it Thurs morning and see if I can clean something else out. I think it's a fuel delivery issue because when it acted up it felt as if it was going to stall out..maybe bad gas, thin oil(sentry), high heat, vapor lock, fuel pump...all after cutting for an hour(hard), shut it down(backfired) started back up, drove over to gas can, shut it down, filled it up then tried to cut again. Started dying out as if it was starving for gas...?

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by heron
. I started a thread Kohler/Sunstar problem on Tuesday night so maybe if you read that it may help.
May also help if it were one thread.

RayS
You can remove top without replacing gasket. It has a formed o ring top gasket. You can also leave the carb on manifold to remove the top portion of the carb. The repair manual states this as well. When I bought mine a month ago that is what I did. Mine had sat at least 3 - 4 years that I know of. The inside of the bowl was filthy. I cleaned it and it runs very good now. There are to brass tubes that I was able to remove and clean out as well when I had the top off. My float was stuck open because junk in the seat. You want to make sure the bowl vents are not plugged as well. The carb kits are around $85 I believe if not more and a new carb is around $250.00 dollars. The dealer I get parts from said he would do a ultrasonic carb cleaning for 20 dollars and that would get everything out. So far mine is fine from what I did. Could be a bad fuel pump as well. Mine does not have a high speed air mixture screw (EPA reg.) but it does have a air mixture screw for idle.

heron
Started it up today, ran great...? I cleaned out the carb with spray so I'll see how it does. I'll remove the plug wires while running but honestly it runs great at full throttle...could not see it having this issue and still running that well. Ray, do you have the same carb as I said I don't want to open up a can of worms. The carb looks good but I know I cannot tell without removing things. I may see if it starts cutting out again and if so I'll start by removing wires then open up the carb.. BTW there is no smoke at all with this engine, not even when I rev it up from a lower throttle point. At 600 hours with these Kohlers is there something that tends to "go" on them like the coils?

RayS
No idea. I don`t know what your spec. number is. Mine is a CH20-64512. Those are low hours for a command. The two dealers I by parts from say they have customers with over 2500 hours on commercial zero turns. http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp You can get parts diagram at the link above. Click on accept and enter as a guest.