Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Nuts

huffy

Does anyone know where I might find some nuts to replace these from my old Landlord?

I believe they are part # 718032. The Simplicity site says they've been superceded by some kind of plastic retainer nut. I'd rather not switch to plastic if I don't have to. But, if the plastic's all that's available now, are the plastic ones similar to something that I could find at a hardware or automotive store rather than having to order them?

They are still available the last time I checked through a Simplicity dealer and McMaster Carr has them as well. McMaster Carr has fast shipping. I believe UPS picks up there 24 hours a day. http://www.mcmaster.com/#cage-nuts/=gsdpgb

quote:
Originally posted by bigten65
Try your local ACE hardware.
The ACE hardward by me did not have them yesterday when I looked. Nor did Thirlby's Auto Parts. Or Roy's General Store. Or Menard's. The guy at Home Depot just looked at me like I was stupid for even asking whether they carried something like that. I'll try a few more places today.

I got mine thru Wells (Mark) Implement in Nebraska (Member). Although pricey ($2.50 ea?) , they did have the correct ones and you could spend a bunch trying to get correct ones as there are a ton of them.;)

Well, I went to 4 more places during my lunch hour and finally found some. As my luck runs, I ended up finding them at the first hardware store I was going to try last night when I left work, but it was already closed by then. They were $1.60 a piece. The guy that runs the place said he might stop carrying them soon, too, because he doesn't get much call for them and the plastic stuff's cheaper.

Well, glad you found some. They are called "cage nuts". Not only are there different thread sizes, they are also made for different thicknesses of sheet metal.

Haha...I just had two packs from McMaster show up yesterday. P/N 90680A137. They are 25/pack for $10.84. I ordered Wednesday around lunch time and they were on my porch yesterday when I got home from work. They fit great...just loose enough that they aren't impossible to clip in ^

I bought a bag from McMasters, very good quality, decent price, fast shipping. I recommend them. I used mine on a yeoman for the hood. The sheet metal fell between the thicknesses for a good fit on the nuts, so I bought the ones for the next thicker metal and pinched them down a bit with vice grips.....no problems so far. Steve