Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lost Gears

usmcgeezer

Lost all my gears. Newbie at posting but here goes: 1968 Sovereign, 12hp, variable speed, Mfg. 990434, serial 1354 shift rod moves freely within tranny casing but has no contact with anything. This with or without clutch engagement.Yikes! Don't know if problem internal or with external linkages. No dealers here on Virginia Eastern Shore and I think opening the transmission by myself over my head. I'm seeking your knowledge, experience and thoughts. Thanks in advance geezer

Welcome to the Club Ted, Nice to see someone older than I am on board. Your never on your own as a Club member. There is tons of advice, experience, and knowledge of sources amongst the Members. Wayne

I had something like that happen a couple years back on one of my tractors. It was not a problem with the transmission, the bevel gear box had gone bad.

Bevel gear box looks fine. Power take off works.Let me check the "side pulleys" again. Aha the variable speed pulley is not driven,nothing at the bevel box and of course nothing going back to the transmission. Ya think?

mine was a esay fix, but thought i blew the trans . i had the outer lock coller on the right differential side come loose and i lost everything. made the right hub come out of the diff gears some. stick it in gear and see if the axle is spinning. check all keyways also.

quote:
Originally posted by usmcgeezer
Bevel gear box looks fine. Power take off works.Let me check the "side pulleys" again. Aha the variable speed pulley is not driven,nothing at the bevel box and of course nothing going back to the transmission. Ya think?
If the variable speed pulley is not turning while the tractor is running either the BGB gears are stripped or the clutch is depressed and is not releasing. The key may have came out of the input shaft but you would think you would beable to hear that if the drive shaft was spinning on the input shaft.

When my BGB went out it just stopped moving. There was no detectible noise. Put another BGB in the tractor and back in business. I bought a used one much cheaper than I could rebuild one. By-the-way, there was nothing left of mine to rebuild. It had run without any grease in it for at least two years. Thought I had checked it, but I guess I didn't. We all make mistakes sometimes. I seem to have my share.

I have had the half moon key break on the drive side pulley (the pulley that goes from the BGB to the transmission). I thought it was the BGB, but it was not. The pto would work, but would not drive. jh

It was in fact the Woodruff key in the variable speed split pulley. It was vaporized. I wish to thank each and every member for your inputs. Thomas Edison"s Pearl Street Power Station crashed one night. He sent for the genius Steinmetz, telling him to look over the dynamo and to send him the bill. Steinmetz spent some time checking the machine and leaving a chalk X mark told the workers to lift the plate under the mark and repair the windings. Edison went ballistic receiving a bill for$10000 asked Steinmetz for a detailed bill. Steinmetz replied: $1.00 for the mark and $9999.0 for knowing where to place it. Edison paid. Thanks all.