Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12hp Briggs welch plug

simple-kid

You can laugh,,,, I'll allow it.:D:D Find some of your "significant other's" fingernail polish and use it like gasket sealer before giving the golf ball a gentle whack, or two. The nail polish will help seal the plug and will stand up to and fuel that might leak out to the plug. I learned that trick from an authorized Briggs repair shop.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
221747 is the original number. A golf ball works great to give the plug the correct seat.
quote:
before giving the golf ball a gentle whack
You guys must be using a better set of clubs than me or must be much better golfers because after whacking the ball until my arms were sore:(!B) I finally gave up trying to hit that plug with the dang ball!!!ngr28C:D:psm00 Dan

Dan, Apply the nail polish to the plug seat, not your fingernails, then give the ball a gentle whack, or two. I find a 3 iron at ten yards works the best.:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Dan, Apply the nail polish to the plug seat, not your fingernails, then give the ball a gentle whack, or two. I find a 3 iron at ten yards works the best.:D:D
That must be the problem. I was applying the nail polish to my fingernails and was using a 9 iron at 3 yards.:D:D:p

It appears that you Guys are better mechanics than golfers. The 9 iron has too much loft, and would likely take out the upper body, rather than set the plug! If you slice the ball, you'll likely install the plug into the main shroud! "Stay on the fairway"

Due to the angle of the carburetor, one might need to bank the golf ball off the engine shroud thus producing more than one dent. Setting the ball on a tee is also recommended to reduce possible divots being thrown at the machine and possibly into the carburetor should the plug fall out.sm00sm00sm00;):o):o) To reduce loft,,,,, a low numbered club is recommended, possibly even a three wood. And I AM a better mechanic than a golfer.:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
And I AM a better mechanic than a golfer.:D:D
I will obviously have the same comment since I didn't even use the right clubB)|) Dan