Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Replacing tines in tiller

landlord2110

I have the 32" Heavy Duty Tiller for the Model 700 Riding Tractor and was wondering how you know when to replace tines. They are definately worn(40+ years old),but not sure if I can get them. I'm sure new ones would be easier on the unit.

I priced them for mine not long ago. They definitely are not cheap. I might be remembering wrong, but I think it was around $185 for all new tines.

I found the most serious wear on my 32" tiller is on the tine tubes hwere they attach to the driving shaft. Most of my older tines are stretched from the battering on rocky soil. With my 2110 down, my tiller is in parts, waiting for re-assembly. I do miss that critter, I often used it in reverse (tractor) to do some grading. I gave it plenty of work on two 50x100 gardens, in shale ridden soil.

i lucked out and got ahold of a tiller with nice tines on it. it was a little rougher than the one i had so i swapped the tines to mine and sold it off. it maybe cheaper for you to just buy another tiller. combine the best of the two to make one good one and sell off the rest.