Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Hitches, Sleeve, Cat. 0 , etc., what

KraigTM
Oops!! Kent, I guess you did say the Massey was a CAT-0, sorry. I must have got tripped up when you stated that the 4041 was a CAT-1. You wrote that a 540RPM PTO was an option on the Powr'max????? I haven't seen that before, can you post a link to a point in a brochure or other documentation that shows that? Did it have the typical 540 RPM PTO "male" splined shaft or did it continue to use the smaller 2000RPM PTO female spline coupler? BTW I have a 60" JD finish mower on the back of my 620. It was converted from 540 RPM to 2000 RPM and has the smaller CAT-0 draw pins installed pointing inward instead of the larger CAT-1 draw pins which were installed pointing outward. It is a very heavy mower but the 620 has no trouble lifting it.

Kent
Kraig, It's listed in the What Fits section for the 9020 from 1977-1981 (at least), as MFR NO 1690191 540 Rear P.T.O. I've given the link below. I think I've seen it somewhere in marketing stuff, talking about a "choice of PTO speeds"... but I'm not sure where... If I can remember or dig it up, I'll post it. I don't know what the 9020s PTO adapters looked like... Different 540 RPM adaptors were also listed for Landlords and Sovereigns for several years, to use them as stationary power sources, I'd imagine, since the PTO shaft exited to the side.... Here's a picture of one of those that Wally Becker owns and has in the Gallery. Kent [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1977-1978.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/540_pto1.jpg'][/a]

Kent
Gentlemen, Thank you all for the info. Boy, I feel like I just took " Garden Tractor - Hitches and Implements 101 " .This was a great question which I now learned so much about from all the combined feedback. I do appreciate this and the time you all put in to explain it. This is why this site works so well. Now I just have one more question for Herb. On the lower section you fabricated that attaches to the rear of the tractor by the two pins, and is used to pull a plow ( for example ) what is the purpose of the two welded nuts and the bolts that run through them ? I know they must have a function but I don't know what it is ? I need to fabricate one myself and was wondering ? Thanks, Al

SmilinSam
Can anyone explain what the different hitches are. I am not quite sure whats what when talking about them. I have plenty of attachments to fit behind a B-210 but dont know the correct terminology for the hitches. Pictures would be wonderfull. Thanks, Al

powermax_paul
I know that all the powermax's were available with optional Cat'0' three point hitches, but I was totally unaware that Simp/AC ever made a 540 rpm pto conversion/adapter for these tractors. I have never seen one. I've always recommended changing the pulleys/gearing on the implement. I'll have to check my service manual. As far as cat 1 3ph is concerned, it would be fairly easy to change out the arms and drag link to convert a powermax to category 1. You can buy these parts at most farm stores or from Northern. Paul

Kent
Al, Your original hitch is unique to Simplicity and their kin (Allis, Wards, Homelite), etc.... While it has three hitching points, top center, bottom left, and bottom right, it is NOT a stardard type of 3-point hitch. I'm still trying to find a good picture of a Category "0" 3-point hitch... A sleeve hitch is a "universal hitch" and will allow a garden tractor implement to fit any garden tractor since each tractor has it's own unique hitch adapter. I've linked the parts drawing of the appropriate sleeve hitch adapter for you B-series tractors. I've also included a picture of that hitch adapter hooked up to a moldboard plow -- don't know if it was an original Simplicity-made plow (I think it is), or an aftermarket Brinly-Hardy made plow -- with sleeve hitch implements, it doesn't matter....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/hitch_adaptor.jpg'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/plow.jpg'][/a]

Kent
Finally found an OK picture of a Category "0" 3-point hitch, on the Massey Ferguson lawn site... True 3-point hitches have 3 separately adjustable, flexible hitch points. Category "0" hitches and implements are not that common. Compacts (Kubotas, etc) and small farm tractors use Category "1" 3-point hitches, and the category "0" is just a smaller version of it. The connecting rods/pins at each point are smaller on the Category "o", and it is rated for less weight. I don't know the specific sizes. The PowrMax tractors, in comparison, had an optional Category 1 3-point hitch...[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/1973_4041/clearance.htm'][img src='http://www.masseylawn.com/Art/Attachments/3PointHitch.jpg'][/a]

John_RI
Al, Those bolts are used to tighten the stabilizer plate (the piece I made with a muffler clamp welded to it) against the implement being used. This is done for two reasons. 1) You want the implement to travel in a straight line and not “wag.” 2) You want to be able to lift the implement without having it flop over. Of course, you can use the rear hitch without the stabilizer plate if you want the implement to follow the tractor around curves.

Kent
Al, I can really appreciate what you mean. Just like with most things, questions are easy AFTER you know the answers. I asked the same questions about hitches when I first got involved with these tractors. I’ve been meaning to find the time to organize text and pictures for Kent to post permanently, but I haven’t found the time yet. Since only one picture can be posted in these threads, let me try and give brief hitch definitions using only words. All hitches are actually “hitch systems.” The hitch on the tractor is half of a system. The hitch on the implement is the other half. Obviously, both halves must be compatible so they can be connected. 1) Basic Hitch – At least that’s what I call it. This is the metal tab with a hole (usually less than ½”) used to connect and pull carts and some light implements such as drop spreaders. 2) Ball Hitch – Mostly found on cars and pick up trucks, also used on tractors to pull heavier trailers equipped with ball hitch sockets. 3) Sleeve Hitch – This is a more or less universal hitch system used to connect heavier, and ground engaging implements to garden tractors. Sleeve hitch implements have a “U” or “C” shaped yoke attached. The width of the “U” or “C” is about 4” with a hole (usually 5/8”) through each “ear”. The tractor must be equipped with an appropriate hitch. Simplicity calls this a “One Point Hitch,” which connects to the rear of the tractor with two small pins. The hitch has a “sleeve” (a piece of pipe about 4” high with a 5/8” ID). The yoke of the sleeve hitch implement is placed over the One Point Hitch and a pin is inserted for the connection. When connected, the tractor pulls the implement just as if it were a cart or trailer. If you want to be able to lift the implement, you then need what Simplicity calls a Rear Lift. Simplicity uses the Rear Lift for tillers. I believe the Rear Lift was standard on the earlier Simplicity tractors, but became an option on the later models. 4) 3 Point Hitch – These are mainly used on larger farm tractors. Basically they consist of two lower arms and one adjustable upper connection point (3 points of connection). These hitches are sized by category, “0” being the smallest, and growing larger with “1”, “2” and “3”. Except for the Power Max, Sun Star (Ultima) and Legacy tractors, to the best of my knowledge Simplicity never offered a 3 point hitch for GT’s. 5) Proprietary Hitch – This is hitch that is designed to be used only on specific tractors. Over the years many farm tractors used proprietary hitches. Sometimes this is done out of necessity for supplying power (a Simplicity tiller will only fit a Simplicity tractor due to the belt drive). Other times it was done to force the tractor owner to buy implements from the tractor manufacturer. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Kent
Great rundown, Dutch. I'd add a couple of points. 1) A "true 3-point" hitch, regardless of the category (0,1, or 2) lifts the implement using the lower hitch points. The adjustable top lift rod just locates the implement and sets the pitch on the implement, just like the crank handle on a Brinly-Hardy plow. Note in the Massey-Ferguson picture of a Legacy equivalent that the lift arms and short chains pick up the lower arms -- this is common to ALL 3-point hitches that I've ever seen. The 4041 picture of a Cat 1 shows a similar setup. In comparison, Simplicity with it's proprietary setup lifts its rear implements using the top hitch point.... 2) The rear lifts were always optional on Simplicity, as far as I know, though they certainly seem to be more common on the older tractors -- I think people just used the older tractors with ground-engaging implements more than they do with later tractors. Times have changed and vegetable gardens aren't nearly as common as they used to be... Now it is large, landscaped and striped lawns rather than neat, weedfree and well-cultivated gardens.... It doesn't help much when we call things different names either. There's confusion over what's a "sleeve hitch" and what's a "rear lift." Simplicity calls the top point in their proprietary hitch system a "rear lift" since in their system it does lift the implement. (I've included pictures of an original one, and one that has been fabricated -- from the Do-It-Yourself section). All the owners and parts manuals describe it as a "Rear Lift." Some people insist on calling this a "sleeve hitch" when in fact the sleeve hitch adapter is a different piece, as the drawing in my original reply illustrates. The "rear lift" is necessary to pick up an implement mounted to the sleeve hitch adapter.... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/do_it/rear_hitches.jpg

SmilinSam
And here's a picture of a "One Point Hitch" / Sleeve Hitch System. Click here for the [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=3938&mode=short&startwith=0'][img src='http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/hitch-seq.jpg'][/a]

KraigTM
Kent, Kent, Kent, that Massey Ferguson GT you posted a photo of is a CAT-0 hitch as is the hitch on the 4040, 4041, 9020, AC616, 620 and 720. A CAT-1 hitch looks the same only it is bigger in all aspects. Also CAT-0 PTO is 2000RPM while CAT-1, CAT-2, CAT-3 are all 540RPM. Here are some more details on the different CAT-X hitches: Top link pin Diameter: CAT-0 5/8" CAT-1 3/4" CAT-2 1" CAT-3 1-1/4" Lift arm "Draw pin" diameter: CAT-0 5/8" CAT-1 7/8" CAT-2 1-1/8" CAT-3 1-7/16" Lift Arm spacing: CAT-0 20" CAT-1 26" CAT-2 32" CAT-3 38"

Kent
OK, OK. We have specs.... Thanks Kraig for correcting me! I knew the Massey was a Cat 0 (and thought I said so) -- that's why I was off looking for one.... But, I was mistaken on the 4041. I thought the 4041 pic showed a Cat 1 -- hard to tell by looking at a picture. I know 540 RPM PTOs were options on the Powr'Max so I guess I assumed Cat 1 went with them. I figured with a 5' pickup mower that they were running a Cat 1 hitch... my mistake! Thanks, Kraig, for straightening me out...

TimE
Herb, Thanks again. Now I know what I have to do to fabricate mine. Thanks, you guys put out a lot of information. I hope we all learned from it. Thanks, Al