Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BLT

The tale of two tires

BLT
This started last June when my son noted that he was having a problem doing some ditch cutting with my Sunstar. The turfs weren't giving him any grip. About a week later, Chuckdog (My wife's cousins son in law) stops over for some parts and has a set of ag tires that he has no use for and wants to know if I want them. I said my son was looking for some and he drops them off. A pair of what you see on the right. I lent my son another pair with the understanding that I get them back. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/Lug%20tire.jpg[/img] Well then I needed 12" rims with 8-1/4 rim width and the hunt was on. Last October Memphis buys a garden tractor that has tires with the correct rims. He said he can part with them and I buy them . I load them on my trailer standing up. Comes time to go and I load my tractor on the trailer, it has a flip down ramp. As I load my tractor, the trailer tilts to the rear and one of my tires takes off down the ramp and bounds thru the brush. I lock the tractor so it won't move and try to find out where the tire went an zoom the next tire scoots by me thru the brush and this time I hear a splash. I find an opening in the brush and lo and behold if there isn't a creek about six foot below the parking level and the tires are floating away. Now I am in a real panic. By the time I get my shoes and sock off and down to creek level the tires already had floated 15-20 ft downstream from where the went it. I had no choice to wade out and get them. Well two things were in my favor, 6-8 " of water and a brush pile snagged the tires so I could get at them. I got them and loaded them went home wet feet and all.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/OakCrktire1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/BLT/OakCrktire2.jpg[/img]
Well my son and I measured things up and they might not work with a 48" deck so I took a look and my 912/7166 decided they might work. Before picture.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/WTaThen.jpg[/img]
After picture.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/wtbnow.jpg[/img]
Between the 4 X 4' measures 39", so a 42" deck will work.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/WTcmowerDstnce.jpg[/img]
And a now a profile pic.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/wtDprofile.jpg[/img]

timflury
And there you have it fellas, the source of all the "wet shoes" comments. And I thought there were no photos of the shenanagans.... Say Bob,,,, Should I help you load next fall???:D:D:D The tractor's shoes are still dry. hehehe

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Say Bob,,,, Should I help you load next fall???:D:D:D
Tim if it is OK with you I rather have you standing in the creek to catch the stuff as it comes thru the bush. I getting too old to heave that stuff up the bank.;)

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Homesteader
Now you'll really have some traction this fall at the plow day. dOd
Aaron, a little more elbow grease to the plow on my part will also ease the need for more traction, correct?;)

Sign in to follow this