Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller not going well...at all

B110guy

Have my wife convinced that I can make some money doing gardens with my B110 and 32" tiller. Problem is as soon as I try to move, the tines quit rotating. The belt is slipping at the BGB. I have the belt so tight I almost can't get it over center to engage. Spent more money today getting a 10" pulley ( for the transmission) that I was sure would help. I move 1" forward with the tiller in the ground and it's lights out. I don't have the original pulley at the BGB, does cast vs stamped make a difference there? No idea why this won't work. B110guy

Checked that and it's correct. It is the belt slipping in the pulley, the smoke really rolls if I let it go. Anything else I'm overlooking? The guy I bought it from said he used it with the pressed steel pulley. B110guy

The front pulley appears too narrow for the belt. The belt needs to go down into the V below the outside edge of a pulley. A V-belt pulls by friction on each side of the V channel. It should NOT go all the way down and run on the bottom of the channel, but it should fit down below the outside edge of the pulley. Thougn NOT related to your case, note that old pulleys can wear out -- the V channel can get worn out enough that a belt will go all the way to the bottom of the channel and not provide enough friction on the sides... It appears that you're using 1/2" pulley. You need a wider one... Compare how the center PTO belt is fitting into its drive pulley, in comparison to this tiller drive belt...

I see your point. I'll look into that a bit more and see what I can figure out. The pulley that I have is identical to the one the guy I bought it off of was using. Anyone have an original tiller drive pulley? B110guy

I would agree at first look that the pulley on the BGB is too small. With that said I just went and looked at mine and it matches Aaron's picture up above. I tilled the garden last week with no known slippage or issues. I may move to a more narrow width belt to get down into the channel of the pulley. My advise would be a belt that is not as wide as the one you are running. -Chris

If you are smoking the belt that badly when you put some load to the tiller I would think there is something more going on other than just the pulley. Does everything turn freely? I almost sounds like something is siezing.

Everything turns freely and it'll dig a hole just fine if I lower it into the ground. Only happens when I try to go forward. I'll look up the belt later tonight and see what it's supposed to be. Might just try a new one and see how it goes. B110guy

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Looks like a 5/8" belt. I always thought the belts on the older 32" tillers were 1/2".
You might be right, Sam. It's been so long since I owned a 32" tiller, I don't recall. Whether pulley or belt width, I think it is the mismatch that is causing his problem. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/tiller_ops1/figure_6.jpg[/img]

The belt should be a 5/8x56 according to the parts book. Starting to think I have a 1/2" pulley. Was listed as a 3" A/B pulley. Assumed it was correct because it was identical to the one the previous owner had been using. The parts book also calls the pulley 2.9". Wonder if that tenth of an inch makes a difference as well? B110guy

I could be wrong, I havnt had one in a very long time either. Looks like the belt in the picture fits the rear pulley correctly, but definately not the front one.

Yeah, same here. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/timflury/Tiller%20Drive2.jpg Looks like your drive pulley is the correct diameter, wrong width.

Belt size is 5/8 x 56, I just bought one for my 32" tiller 2 days ago. I agree with the above posts that your pulley doesn't look correct in your pics. I can't post pics of mine from my phone for some reason. If you pm me your e-mail address I'll e-mail you some photos of how mine looks seated in the factory 3" pulley so you can see the difference.

quote:
Everything turns freely and it'll dig a hole just fine if I lower it into the ground. Only happens when I try to go forward.
That is what does not make sense to me. If the pulley / belt is wrong, why would everything be functioning until he moves forward? It will till just fine until he moves forward. I think we should be thinking upon these lines. I could certainly be wrong, but that seems to be the real question.

Are you forcing it into the ground, or letting it float? If your using down pressure, the ground may be too hard for the mismatched belt/pulley.

Letting it float and it'sin ground that I plowed the day before. I've got the correct pulley coming, will see what difference that makes. B110guy

I wouldn`t think it would matter if it is a cast or stamped as long as it is 3" diameter. I read a post one time here several years ago where I believe Al stated that the stamped pulleys are actually better because the cast are softer metal and dont last as long. Maybe the stamped pulley is worn out in the V as Kent mentioned. Belt could be stretched bushing may need need freed up in large pulley as well. There is also a bearing inside of the large pulley setup.