Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

unbelievable

huffy

I need a new gas cap for my old 2012, since the old one's so warn out that gas sloshes out when I'm driving around. Jack's has them listed for just over $18, but it's a little over $26 including shipping. That seemed kind of expensive to me for a gas cap, so even though I already knew the answer would be NO I thought I'd check and see if I could find one cheaper on eBay. What a shocker! this one's up to nearly $46 - and the bidding hasn't ended yet. And, that doesn't even include the $5-$10 they'll charge for shipping. $50+ . . . . for a gas cap?

:O:( I bought several generic ones about 10 years ago for about $5 each -- they were likely offshore Stens replacements but I bought all the guy had listed on eBay. I've now ran out of my stash-- and I need one. This is discouraging, to say the least. Perhaps the cheapest solution is to have a local dealer get you one, so you don't have to pay separate shippe...

I got a new short one for the 2012 when I built that and paid around $20 at my dealer. Whizzed me off thoughngr2. Worked for about two months, then for some reason the plastic float quit floating. Just sinks to the bottom nowXX(8C:||

Unfortunately, there's only 1 Simplicity dealer near me. And everything I've ever tried to buy there has been significantly more expensive than I can get it through Jack's or somewhere else. Often times Jack's or other places are so much cheaper that the shipping cancels out. If it were a local mom & pop place that needed the markup to stay alive, I'd pay it. But that does not appear to me to be the case. And, the guy that runs the place is rude. So, I'll just pay the shipping and stick with Jack's. I still can't believe it costs that much for a gas cap, though. Sheesh, maybe I should get an injection mold and go into business.

When I last visited my Local Highwayman (dealer)for a gas cap (guage) for my 2110 it was $17 + tax, we have that wonderful sales tax here. Have you checked the JNemes site? Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by GrincheyOne
Have you checked the JNemes site?
I didn't see one listed on there. Oh well, I'll look around a while longer, but I assume that eventually I'll just end up having to order one from Jack's.

My local dealer has to charge me state sales tax and charges list price. The last time I wanted to order a belt they also wanted to charge me for shipping ngr2 Tried to buy local but ?????? attitude :O That did not happen, ordered online.

I've been told the shipping is waived through the dealer if the item can come in with their normal order. If you need it faster, or the dealer cannot muster up the sales for their minimum, then shipping will apply. I have finally begun to visit my local dealer after years of avoiding the place, just to skip the shipping from an online purchase. The guys in there are old timers, but they are still amazed at the tractors I'm looking to buy parts for, and then the childhood stories start ^ I'm beginning to enjoy the interaction on Saturday mornings now ;)

I got tired of paying through the nose for gas cap that didn't last. I just bought a cap from NAPA for a couple buck and take the cap off to ckeck the fule level. I can take the cap off and on about as easy as trying to read the gage after it turned crappy from fuel getting into it.

As long as the cap is still floating/rotating I have managed to polish the fog out pretty succesfully. Its similar to headlight polish on cars. I took the fully opaque OEM one when I got my 64 LL and made it clearly readable just by wet sanding. Just like car headlights though, once its started it happens faster so expect to keep doing it every now and then.

I have been laying Tecumseh carb bowls over the all of my fuel gauge caps. They're fairly low prophile and keep things dry. For now I have been using duct tape to plug off bowl nut hole but will epoxy them closed some time.

Can't polish the one I have now . . . it's so old the clear plastic long ago rotted/broke away. It's got the cork float, and may even be original to the tractor. I'm going to pick up a regular cap from NAPA for every day use. But I'm about to tear this one down and resto it, so I'd like to have an original-esque gauge type too for "special" occasions. Luckily, a good semaritan co-member had one and is selling it to me at a good price. Rest assured that I will cherish it, as I may not be able to afford a replacement if these little pieces of plastic continue to skyrocket in price.