Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Changing tires on 8" rim

arnoldir

Maybe it`s just me, but I can`t see what all this fuss is about in breaking down these 8" tire beads. I have used a tire hammer (bead breaker hammer) for many many years with only 1 or 2 hits to each bead to break them down. In fact, I use a tire hammer for breaking down all my tires from 40" down to a set of 4" wheels the other day.. Might be something to look into. Tire hammers have been around since God was an alter boy.

Guys, All I did was spend $30.00 on a small tire changer from Harbor Freight and the problem was solved. Jeff

Hello folks, I typed this out as a response to the painting rims message but figured I should post it as a new message. Tips for the little 8" rims, (my personel favorite, NOT !!) Always remove the valve core, just holding the valve in untill it stops hissing does not let out enough air. To break down the bead, squish tire in bench vise with edge of rim just touching the top of vise jaws. you have to repeat this all the way around, and make several trips around, moving the bead a little at a time. Use lots of soap and water to make slippery. I have also found that a 1/2" bolt with a big flat washer and nut can be chucked into a drill press and used to get up under the rim and force the real stubborn beads down. If you are removing the tire, use a pair of long reach vise grips to collapse the tire and force the beads up against the inner seam of the rim and start the tire iron opposite that point. To get the tire back on, put tire on ground and lean against your left legand hold with left hand through the right side with palm to tire, put rim in tire and stomp the edge of rim with right heel while pulling up with left hand.(Boots and gloves are a must) Then hold tire iron with left hand and put through the left side of tire , under both beads and up onto the rim. Pry up on the iron push down on rim with right hand and keep your right heel in the rim. this should force the outer bead into the middle of the rim up against the seam and allow the top of both beads up over the rim. IF using a tube, be shure to have the valve hole in the rim facing to the right. Now pull the left bead back off the rim and put in the tube. use lots of baby powder in the tire and on the tube, and put enough air in the tube to make it almost firm. Put the valve through the hole in rim and then put on a flat washer then valve cap. Push the valve untill the washer is against the rim and force the bead as far into the center of the rim as possible. Lay the rim valve side down and kneel on the tire to get the bead started over the rim. use a paint stick or other blunt item to push on the tube as you work the bead on the rim with your knees untill you have 1/2 done, then grab the vise grips and squish the tire the same as when removing. With the tire squished, let out some, but not all the air. Having air in the tube reduces the chance of pinching it. Lay the tire and vise grips back down and start with the tire irons making shure that you only catch the very edge of the rim, and pry the rest of the bead on a little bit at a time. I bought a set of tire irons from Nortern Equipment for $16 and they work great, the only thing to do first is to remove any sharp edges on the irons with a file, make them nice and smooth so they don't cut up the bead. Have fun, cuss plenty cause it does help, and mount the tires before painting the rim or you will ruin the paint. Happy tractoring