Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1974 7016 simplicity ??

7016simplicity

Hi all new to the site.. I just got a 7016 sovereign... seller said it was a 1974.. All info I can find is that 7016 started in 1975 ?? I found lots of pics showing a 7016 system and the side decals go up over the hood.. Mind do not.. and mine has the side mounted headlights.. I cannot find any #s or tags on tractor.. I have a picture, but do not know how to show it..

Numbers on the engine would be stamped on the side of the shroud on one side about 2/3 the way down the side, unless its a later repower where the numbers could be stamped on the top of the shroud. Manufacture number decal would be straight down between your legs as seated on the tractor just behind the big for your saftey decal/plate. Many fall off though over time or are taken off during a re-paint. Vickers Transmission, or Sundstrand? Vickers would have a oil cooler on top with hoses going to it, and a lever on the back to disengage the tranny to push it. the Sundstrand would have a little latch plate on top that pushes down onto a pair of button valves to push the tractor by hand.

I gave the engine # to my local simplicity dealer and he said motor is a 1974... I purchased tractor from original owner and he said he never changed anything.. It does have a latch plate that does push into 2 valves ..Funny you would mention them, as both are frozen in...He pushed them in many years ago to move the tractor.. I cannot get them freed up.. Local junk yard has a 7014 with the two valves, but no center buttons on them Would these work in the 7016? dealer wants $100 each for them...

The button type are the only ones used on Simplicity. If they dont have the buttons a previous owner must have changed them. Dont know if they would work Ok or not. Sound like the ones used on the Cub Cadet 82 series tractors. I used to rob spare valves from the 50 series Cadets I used to scrap out. They are the same push button type. I have taken stuck valves out and had some success freeing them up by squirting penetrating oil on/around the buttons on top and letting it soak in. then I get a small screwdriver, grind the end flat and insert it int the hole in the bottom amd try and push them back up from that end. Some time it works sometimes it doesnt. I push and sometimes tap on the driver, but dont like to hammer too hard on the screwdriver as I dont want to damage the ball you are pushing on. If you do take them out, make sure you clean good around them with compressed air and get any loose dirt our from around them before you take them out. You absolutely dont want to get any dirt inside the valve housing. Also take great care to keep them clean while out working on them, wiping them down good and blowing them off before re-installing them. $100 each is the going price newsm00.

I assume your 7016 looks about like this one. My dad bought this one in 1985 and used it until about 2000 or 2001 when the engine was completely worn out. I completely overhauled the engine in this tractor at that time...bored the block, new piston, rod, crankshaft and bearings and I do believe governor. I put in a new point plunger and bushing and a new upper half of the carburetor. Runs like new now. The engine in here was built in October 1974, so I always assumed this tractor was probably built for the 1975 season. It has the Sundstrand hydro. The mfg number that you'll need to look up parts etc. is 1690006. Click the you tube link to see it working a few winters back. [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg2Gmq2EjLA

Yes thats what it looks like, my side decals are all orange with no black, and the rear decal in your vid is different.. I found a company that has real nice decal sets, but they only show the system hood decals that go up over the hood... Maybe mine is a early or late 74 ..I tried to free up the valves with pb blaster and a small punch thru the bottom hole... Bent the punch!

Here is a couple pics... Figured to become a member was well worth the $10 to get some much needed info at times...

Welcome to the zoo Bob, I would say yours is a tick newer than Dan's, but not by much. Simplicity didn't follow a "Model year" like the auto manufacturers do. Looks like the decals on yours matched my dad's 4111 that he bought in '78 but was a left over tractor at the dealer.

those valves on the trans come out. I think 1" socket. I have had them stick I pull them out and lube them and work them into place with a pick, screwdriver whatever works.

Nice tractor! Like stated above, those valves can usually be freed up. You can usually remove them with an adjustable wrench. Once removed, I use a piece of aluminum rivet, and use that to tap on the ball.

Well I bent a steel punch, so I do not think the aluminum rivet would have done anything.. But I got lucky, and found some on e bay... the guy had 4 and I bought all 4 .. $40 each, and they are all free and like new he says.. I was also wrong on the $100 dealer price, they want $130 each... So for $ 40 ea , I thought that was a deal.. Im looking at another 7016 this weekend.. Maybe that one might need 2, if not I will just sell the other 2 ..

You got the bug! Getting another one,yup that was the best 10.00 you could have spent .This site is worth everypenny. So did you get any attchments with your tractor?(noticed the weights) btw nice tractor.:D

Cub Cadet used an auto release valve prior to the 82 series. The hex head is taller and a small hole on top. If they go bade they leak from the hole. They could work in the Simplicity. The hood has `78 to `80 decals. and that is when the headlights went in the hood. The engine may have been produced in `74 at Briggs for `75 model year production. Dealers could get the spring order in Febuary if they wanted. Is the first numbers on the enging 325 or 326?

So bottom line, what would be the proper hood decals for my tractor? is mine what they call a system ? link to decals below http://www.clickitandstickit.com/products/Simplicity-7016-System-Hood-Decal.html

Also dont know if any of you are familiar with this company, but here is a link to there decal sets for simplicity tractors There is about 13 pages of decals.. http://www.clickitandstickit.com/categories/Reproduction-Lawn-Mower-Decals/Simplicity/