Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MikeSMN

New tiller on old tractor

MikeSMN
Anyone using a new Simplicity 36" tiller, belt driven, on an older 917 / 7117? Wondering if there are any problems with fitting the hitch / belt / pulleys etc. Good used 36" / 38" 1690039 tillers seem to be priced $400 or better and 400 miles away from southern MN for the last few months. Thinking new might be an option if it would work on the 917H.

Brettw
A newer 36" large frame tiller will work just fine on the 917 / 7117. That frame and model of tractor remained basically unchanged until they retired the model in 2000. Keep in mind however, the tractor itself needs to have a rear lift to use any of the rear driven implements, the tractor may need an additional idler pulley depending upon the location of the hydro filter (more than likely unless it is a very early 7100 series with the remote filter), and the tiller itself needs a dual pulley setup that should come with the tiller (you will see many tillers for sale, but not all come with that pulley setup, and they can be very hard to find). It is a separate part, but the tiller is not usable without it. This pulley assembly is used in almost all of the rear PTO driven equipment.

RayS
A new tiller will work on your tractor. I have one that is less than 10 years old and I use it on my 7100 - Sovereign type tractors and can use it on my Prestige as well if I wasn`t so cheap to buy the needed rear lift assembly. May have to turn the big pulley around so hub is facing opposite direction. Belt guard is different as well. Other than that a new tiller is the same as the 36" made 40 years ago. You will need the stuff Brett mention as well.