Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D Running but with issues

MittenB10

So I got the 23D in my B10 running (kind of) after 15 years of sitting, but I have issues. I have cheater wires hooked up right now for the ground and positive on the S/G. When I fire it up, the engine will run until I remove the negative lead from the S/G and then no spark. What am I missing here? Perhaps I have something backwards? Setup: Briggs 23D w/ external coil linked to stock points Stock starter switch (push button) with simple toggle for on/off Coil Works Points Work S/G Works Any input would be great!

I'm not sure where you have your cheater wires hooked to and from, but you need 12 volts to supply your external coil. You are losing the circuit when you remove the ground. Do a search for wiring diagrams and adapt one for a battery/coil system and your push button starter. Might be a good idea to post a picture of your set-up. Some one will jump in and give you some help.

Thanks Jim! Snagged some of the diagrams out of the tech pubs and traced everything back, cleaned up all my contacts and what do you know, she worked! Ran for about 5mins. Time for some carb work now. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
MittenB10 I am going to attempt to convert my 23D to an external coil this weekend. Is the any chance that you have some pictures of your setup? If not which diagrams were you able to find that helped.

quote:
Originally posted by lhx2
MittenB10 I am going to attempt to convert my 23D to an external coil this weekend. Is the any chance that you have some pictures of your setup? If not which diagrams were you able to find that helped.
Did you make the switch? Sorry just now following up. The setup is super simple and I believe the link that was posted in here would be helpful. Let me know if you need pics.

You can't directly convert a Briggs 23D engine over to a Magnetron system since it uses a 3-pole coil. Another club member posted that you can convert this engine over to the later 24xxx series of coil and mounting bracket then of course get the flywheel repolarized. Tom(PK)

quote:
Originally posted by MittenB10
quote:
Did you make the switch? Sorry just now following up. The setup is super simple and I believe the link that was posted in here would be helpful. Let me know if you need pics.
I ended up having to do some roofing so I didn't get to it this past weekend. The plan is to do it this weekend. I hope its as easy as you say. This is my first experience with any type of small engine work.

Pictures in the article posted show a wire running from the new coil to the regulator but there is no mention of it in the directions. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

quote:
Pictures in the article posted show a wire running from the new coil to the regulator but there is no mention of it in the directions. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
I'll be out in the garage this evening and plan on getting something put together for you!

• 3 weeks later...