Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
stevenb210

head

stevenb210
i have a 101 that i bought today and i was driveing and the spark plug blew out of the head i was wondering if i could fix the head or if anyone had one they would sell it is for a 10hp 243431 0123 01

steve-wis
The head can be fixed either by yourself or a machine shop can do it. Most auto parts stores carry the kit with the sleeve, drill and tap. A helicoil can also be installed. Not sure of what costs more tho, fixing or replacing. Steve

D-17_Dave
A close inspection of the head should show you if the threads stripped out and if it's completely lost. You may be able to just replace the plug. If replacing the head is needed you should have no problem as this model engine is very common so sourcing one should be easy.

ka9bxg
The problem with a heili coil is that if you have to ever change the plug the heili coil likes to come out with it .Replace if possible or find someone that can weld aluminum and drill and tap it.Bob

1Litre
I heli coil heads all the time and only had a couple come out. The original spiral coil is the one to use. They have a steel bushing kit that has the problem of the bushing backing out. We just threaded the old bushing on the new plug and threaded it back in the hole. I charge twenty bucks to coil the thread with the spring type. The head is decarboned and the plug sealing surface is machined flat.