Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

On a positive note -- AC Yellow paint defined

Kent

Let me get out my scorecard here, We got, B-1 yellow Old yellow(sounds like my dog) New yellow Lexington yellow whos' on first whats' on second I dont know is on third! We got Construction yellow at shortstop Does anybody remember when I was criticized for using Rustoleum Sunset Yellow?????

Les, There's only three shades that I'm trying to track down... I think New Yellow is the result of Lexington, but I'm not sure.... BTW, I'm even cheaper than you. My Big Ten is painted with American Accents Brilliant Yellow at $3.49 a can from Agway. This paint is made by Rustoleum, but it's a buck a can cheaper.... But, the correct paint is obviously important to some people who are trying to build a show tractor. We farmers are glad just to have them the one color, with no brown (rust) spots.... Kent

Les, I don't remember when you were criticized for using Rustoleum Sunset Yellow, BUT, I'll admit to using Rust-olium's Farm & Equipment "ALLIS CHALMERS ORANGE" (7458) on my Simplicity tractros. I'm sure it's not right but it's easy to find @ 3.99/can and looks OK to me. John(ri)

Les, sure makes some interesting posts anyway, I feel like Kent, if it ain't rusty brown its a thing of beauty, but I don't have anyplace to show mine,heck, about a week ago I hooked up with member Bruce Homes in north pole and seen the first AC's I didn't own and learned the hitch irons on my B112 are not for a B112 either, thus explaining why I had to weld ears on when I was putting it together inorder to mount my fenders. MPH

You know what's going to happen..? You guys are going to to get the EXACT CORRECT ORIGINAL color and others are going to claim your repainted equipment "looks" wrong since there is nothing to compare. I've seen that happen many times before. But as long as you're happy.............

Well, I guess if we all know its right, who cares what everyone else thinks. Gives us a chance to practice at being good debaters.

Thanks to club member Cal Neely -- owner of the Allis & Simplicity dealership Yankee Sales & Service -- I've sent off a paint brochure to get the formulas defined. This will give us the definitely-correct shades for the B-10, Big Ten, and B-12 (with Old Yellow), and the Lexington-era tractors (B-207, 208, 210, 212) with New Yellow. We still don't have: 1) A good paint formula for B-1s, though we know it is different. 2) We still don't know EXACTLY when Allis switched from Old Yellow to New Yellow... I've included a scan of that paint brochure, and linked to the appropriate section on Simple trACtors. Can anyone help pin down answers to the two remaining "yellow paint" questions? Note that CM yellow in the attached scan is for Construction Machinery, to the best of our knowledge... [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/paint_codes.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/color_chart.jpg'][/a]

But Dutch, most of the fun in a puzzle is putting it all together -- not just admiring it once you're done... 8o) Now, who can offer similar original Simplicity samples for analysis? Club member Van Evener is a chemist at BASF and will do the formula analysis for us....

Kent, I would guess that the New Yellow is the result of Lexington as that looks to be the same color that my HB-212 has on it. While a lot is not original, that paint looks original. Before I saw those color samples, I thought somebody repainted her with a gold paint. Later, Clayton

I've used everything from Wally M's 97 cent sspritz bombs,[of which only about half work!] to ppg 28 buck a gallon acrylic enamel,spprayed with professional equipment.Depends on the piece being restored.$5 OEM bombs work well because of a good fan type spray nozzle,,