Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 rear pto questions

brad52

i hope i didn't miss info somewhere already discussing this. the point where the rear pto clutch attaches to the frame via a chain link rattles somewhat loudly especially when the clutch is disingaged and the engine is in the higher rev range. is there an easy fix to quiet this down? the related second question is when installing the rear pto shaft the manual instructs to use a dial indicator to center the shaft. i tried this a couple of time but couldn't find a machined easy to reach spot to apply the dial indicator. any suggestions are appreciated. thanks brad

The tape deal is actully agood fix. You can wrap th chain link with a little tape to help the rattle if the angle of the chain link is noisy. As for the dial indicator, you don't have to use a machined edge to mount it to. Any fixed point on the torque tube to clamp it to or stick the magnetic based dial to will work.

You might check the holes that the link goes through for wear. If they wear through this will let the coil spin and tear off your wire leads.

thanks all for your helpful suggestions. on the centering of the pto shaft, dave i am looking for a position along/on the shaft where i can set the feeler of the dial indicator. i have a magnetic mount for it but i dont quite see where to measure on the pto shaft. up real near where it bolts on the engine is the only place i can find and it's not a place where any accurate measurement can be taken(ie. rough,not machined, out of round). for now i think the tape quick fix is what it will be....and i will look close to see if it's badly worn or not.

You need to check 3 points on the shaft. Right at the front near the splnes,in the center of the shaft, and near the rear. The idea is to check for any realistic amount of deflection or warpage that could cause vibration. You can use the tip of the dial right on the smooth side of the shaft. The tube should be near perfectly round.

These are 2 rubber/neoprene bushings (part # 177943) on the front of the drive shaft around the 2 bolts the hold it to the motor. These are easy to fix and will cause the drive shaft to wobble. Left over time the tractor will shake all the time and eventually take out the bearings in the rear PTO.